Re: Florida Statute According to RLB

> We were discussing Florida residents
> so in that case you would need a
> Florida license...

True.  I don't know if you looked at my site back then but it stated clearly that we did not offer monitoring service to Florida
locations.  Every once in a while someone from Florida would ask and I just referred them to Jim Rojas or one of the others.  IIRC,
Rojas did some installation work for people I sent his way.  I don't know what he charged them.  That was his deal.

> If it involved an out of state client then
> no you wouldn't need them. All the
> bitching is quite funny considering
> ProtectAmerica does the same thing
> in 48 states and holds no license.

Some of the people doing all the whining are probably using Protect America.  :^)

> Again, if the customer lived in Florida
> then the license was required if you
> were selling monitoring, servicing
> systems, or downloading.

Correct.  None of them were Florida customers.  I use to help people program their systems, with no requirement that they buy
anything from me.  It was a courtesy service.  After a while it became too time consuming though.

>>> It's all a moot point since the folks in
>>> Florida are more concerned with giving
>>> new laws nicknames than enforcing
>>> the ones already on the books...
>>
>> You didn't actually fall for that, did you.
>> It's a classic worthyism -- pure fiction.
>
> No I didn't fall for anything.

Good.  These guys always try to slip in an extra lie or fifty.

>>> You're wrong again.  An individual that
>>> contracts for monitoring services in
>>> Florida...
>
> He is deliberately ignoring a critical part of the Florida statute as regards monitoring.  The definition limits the law's
> coverage
> to structures located in Florida.  They don't give a mugford's olson about buildings in other states being monitored by
> out-of-state
> central stations.<

> You're replying to someone else's quote there.

I know.  That's why I left the extra ">" characters in and said "he."

>>> ... In essence Robert was deemed a
>>> "contractor" in all respects and aspects
>>> of the Law and was required to be
>>> licensed...
>
> Funny how they never cited me for anything.<

> You stopped advertising monitoring services
> before the state could off of their ass to pursue
> you. You are by no means Johnny Innocent but
> it's no different then how most companies operate.

That's not true, Tom.  I was still offering monitoring (though never in Florida) long after Mugford's complaint.

>> Correct.  The State of Florida already
>> ruled in my favor on the issue.  End
>> of story (though there's no end to the
>> lies from Mugford, Worthy and Olson).
>
> I think you're answering Frank's comments here.

Correct.

>> Another easy thing to do.. until I recover.
>> After that he'll need a bit more than a
>> Louisville Slugger.  :^)
>
> That's why I suggested an ambush
> when you ride that big wheel.

I doubt his Pinto could keep up with me.

>> Chasing him on Florida statutes is a
>> waste of time for reasons I mentioned.
>> But be careful what you ask for because
>> this place will be boring without him.
>
> I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

> Sure you are. You're going out of business
> in weeks. We've been saying that for years...

Heh.  That was Sabodish's favorite claim, along with the millions he was selling each week.  I checked him out with ADI some time
ago.  He did less than $20K in a year.  I do that much in about a week.  It would have been much more this year but I've been ill.

>> I'm lost. Who posted low prices and
>> who complained?...
>
> I posted low prices.  I also posted what alarm dealers pay for third party monitoirng services (between $2 and $7 per month,
> depending on provider and the numb er of accounts).  One of the early IB actually posted that I needed to "get with the program"
> and
> raise my prices.  :^) <

> It has more to it than the number
> of accounts and providers.  Is it UL,
> digital or 2 way, flat rate of additional
> charge per signal, who pays for the
> receiver line, etc.

One UL listed nation-wide provider located in NJ has offered standard monitoring (non-800) for $2 per account with no minimum for
years.  I haven't spoken to them in some time so that may have changed but you can verify it in a minute.  I think you know who I'm
speaking of.

> Are you talking about posting prices 6 years ago?

I don't think it was that long ago.  Olson is a more recent jackass than that.  The post that I should "get with the program" and
raise my prices was probably six years ago or more.

>> I don't care much about proprietary
>> panels since I usually just replace
>> them. I don't unlock panels either.
>> If a customer wants that I send them
>> to Bob Campbell or Jim Rojas. It's
>> not worth my time and trouble to get
>> set up and learn the procedures for
>> that.

> Proprietary -  : one that possesses, owns,
> or holds exclusive right to something...

OK, we're talking about two different things.  By "proprietary" I mean junk like Sonitrol panels that no one else can service.  You
mean panels with proprietary information in them.  I understand your position and I also understand Bob's.  (No one understands Jim
Rojas, but that's because his voice is muffled by all that junk in his garage:)).

> What they are doing is wrong. Paint it,
> polish it, wrap it up anyway you'd like
> but they are wrong.

I guess they feel differently that if the customer comes to them with an unusable panel that has been locked out it's up to the
customer and whoever he bought the panel from to decide whose property the panel is.  If it's fully paid for, I agree that it's the
customer's property.  If not, Jim and Bob have no way of knowing that.  They are providing service to person in possession of the
device.

I think a fair analogy is the fellow who drives into a service garage.  He asks the mechanic to fix his car because the alarm is
screwed up.  The mechanic doesn't really know if he stole the car or paid for it.  He fixes the alarm so the customer can use his
car again.  If it was stolen, it is the responsibility of the proper owner to persue the matter with the police.  In the case of an
alarm system the dealer who sold or leased it has the option to persue the errant client in court.

>> As to downloading software, if the
>> customer owns the system outright
>> I figure it's his right to be able to
>> reprogram it himself.  If he bush's
>> it up, it's his responsibility.
>
> And if he goofs up and puts the wrong
> account number in then it puts someone
> else at risk. We will never agree on this.

In all but the minutest fraction of a percent of events this would only result in a false dispatch to someone else's premises.  What
do you think the odds are that DIYer "A" programs his alarm to send a cancel code, then trips and resets it immediately after
customer "B" has a real emergency on the same zone?  Bear in mind that more and more professional monitoring centers are now
comparing Caller ID data just to prevent such an occurence.

>> Same here.  On the rare occasion
>> that it happened, I used to offer to
>> reprogram the system to the
>> competitor's receiver just to make
>> sure that *all* of my receiver numbers
>> (we always used both a primary and
>> a backup receiver) are removed.
>
> Which immediately causes a client to
> think you're trying to harm them...

Some people would think you were out to rob them if you gave them the winning Lotto ticket.  I tried to help that idiot, Houston,
once and got attacked for it.  I won't make that mistake again.  Come to think of it, isn't that what happened to you when you tried
to help Cracker?

> because God forbid a customer ever
> think the alarm company is trying to
> be helpful . I should have been a plumber.

Nah.  They get even worse press than alarm installers.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics