Re: Florida Statute According to RLB

Robert L Bass wrote:
> > I remember back when Robert was
> > selling monitoring and had contracts
> > on his website. The central was out
> > of Mass. For the life of me I can't
> > remember their name...
>
> Alarm Central.  They're very nice folks.
>
> > Anyway this is where HE not they
> > required a Florida license...
>
> That's not right, Tom.  Because none of the protected premises were locat=
ed in Florida and the monitoring was performed by a firm
> outside of Florida, the agent said no license is required in Florida. <

We were discussing Florida residents so in that case you would need a
Florida license. If it involved an out of state client then no you
wouldn't need them. All the bitching is quite funny considering
ProtectAmerica does the same thing in 48 states and holds no license.

> > Had he changed his address to another
> > state he wouldn't have needed diddly
> > (but that's been established)...
>
> Even residing in Florida no license was required.  If it had been I'd hav=
e taken the exam and gotten the license.  It's really a
> simple test in Florida.  They don't require anywhere near the depth of kn=
owledge we had to have in CT.  That might explain some of
> the "professional" dealers we've gotten to know from other parts of the s=
tate.<

Again, if the customer lived in Florida then the license was required
if you were selling monitoring, servicing systems, or downloading.

> > After that he provided a link to NextAlarm...
>
> I did that as a courtesy to a friend.
>
> > It's all a moot point since the folks in
> > Florida are more concerned with giving
> > new laws nicknames than enforcing
> > the ones already on the books...
>
> You didn't actually fall for that, did you.  It's a classic worthyism -- =
pure fiction.<

No I didn't fall for anything.

> >> You're wrong again.  An individual that
> >> contracts for monitoring services in
> >> Florida...
>
> He is deliberately ignoring a critical part of the Florida statute as reg=
ards monitoring.  The definition limits the law's coverage
> to structures located in Florida.  They don't give a mugford's olson abou=
t buildings in other states being monitored by out-of-state
> central stations.<

You're replying to someone else's quote there.

> >> ... In essence Robert was deemed a
> >> "contractor" in all respects and aspects
> >> of the Law and was required to be
> >> licensed...
>
> Funny how they never cited me for anything.<

You stopped advertising monitoring services before the state could off
of their ass to pursue you. You are by no means Johnny Innocent but
it's no different then how most companies operate.

> >> I have no doubt that he could pass the
> >> written examination and meet all the
> >> requirements to get a license...
>
> Piece of cake.
>
> >> He's just not interested in following
> >> that through...
>
> Since I don't perform installations and I don't monitor premises located =
in Florida, there's no reason to get a license.  Heck, I've
> done so many plumbing repairs that I could probably pass the plumber's ex=
am with a little preparation, too.  But I don't do plumbing
> for a living so why get the license?
>
> >> Some here have "speculated"...
>
> More like expectrated.
>
> >> as to the reason(s) why, but I won't
> >> go there.  It's not for me to say one
> >> way or the other...
>
> Correct.  The State of Florida already ruled in my favor on the issue.  E=
nd of story (though there's no end to the lies from
> Mugford, Worthy and Olson).<

I think you're answering Frank's comments here.

> > I'm telling ya the only way you're getting
> > rid of him is with a Louisville Slugger, and
> > your best opportunity is disappearing as
> > he recovers from chemo. Grab a bat and
> > get him while he's weak. If he regains
> > strength then you'll have to ambush him
> > on a parkway when he's riding that half
> > assed tricycle...
>
> Another easy thing to do.. until I recover.  After that he'll need a bit =
more than a Louisville Slugger.  :^) <

That's why I suggested an ambush when you ride that big wheel.

> > Chasing him on Florida statutes is a
> > waste of time for reasons I mentioned.
> > But be careful what you ask for because
> > this place will be boring without him.
>
> I'm not going anywhere any time soon. <

Sure you are. You're going out of business in weeks. We've been saying
that for years.

> > I'm lost. Who posted low prices and
> > who complained?...
>
> I posted low prices.  I also posted what alarm dealers pay for third part=
y monitoirng services (between $2 and $7 per month,
> depending on provider and the numb er of accounts).  One of the early IB =
actually posted that I needed to "get with the program" and
> raise my prices.  :^) <

It has more to it than the number of accounts and providers.
Is it UL, digital or 2 way, flat rate of additional charge per signal,
who pays for the receiver line, etc.

> Olson threw a pretend fit when I posted abo0ut monitoring costs.  If was =
his excuse to jump ship and join the IB flame fest.  He
> thought it would win him respect (it didn't) from the other idiots.<

Are you talking about posting prices 6 years ago?

> > I wouldn't give a rat's dirty duff about
> > prices being posted but it burns my ass
> > more than a midget with a blow torch
> > when proprietary information is posted,
> > when downloading software is distributed,
> > or when people advertise unlocking
> > services for proprietary panels...
>
> I don't care much about proprietary panels since I usually just replace t=
hem.  I don't unlock panels either.  If a customer wants
> that I send them to Bob Campbell or Jim Rojas.  It's not worth my time an=
d trouble to get set up and learn tjhe procedures for that.<

Proprietary -  : one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to
something. Last time I checked Jim Rojas, Bob Campbell, and these other
panel hackers didn't hold rights to the proprietary panels of other
companies. What they are doing is wrong. Paint it, polish it, wrap it
up anyway you'd like but they are wrong.

> As to downloading software, if the customer owns the system outright I fi=
gure it's his right to be able to reprogram it himself.  If
> he bush's it up, it's his responsibility.<

And if he goofs up and puts the wrong account number in then it puts
someone else at risk. We will never agree on this.

> > If at the end of the term my client wants
> > to go elsewhere then I will unlock the
> > panel at no charge...
>
> Same here.  On the rare occasion that it happened, I used to offer to rep=
rogram the system to the competitor's receiver just to make
> sure that *all* of my receiver numbers (we always used both a primary and=
 a backup receiver) are removed. <

Which immediately causes a client to think you're trying to harm them
because God forbid a customer ever think the alarm company is trying to
be helpful . I should have been a plumber.

> > but let me catch another alarm company
> > tinkering with one of my systems and
> > they'll need a meat hook to remove my
> > foot from their ass.