Re: Florida Statute According to RLB

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:53:37 -0500, "Bob Worthy"
<securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The State Statute that govern alarm system activities is F.S. Chapter 489
>Part II, as well as, a Rules Chapter, which I will let RLB find for himself
>and a Florida Administrative Code Chapter of the Florida Statutes. There is
>also the Uniform Building Code and Florida Fire Pervention Code and the
>State Fire Marshals Statute. These are also enforced by the Electrical
>Contractors Licensing Board of the Department of Business and Professional
>Regulation along with interrelated Regulatory Agencies like the Department
>of State, Department of Financial Services, the IRS, and the State
>Department of Revenue.You quoted out of Chapter 489 Part I. This is the
>statute that is governed by the Contractors Industry Licencing Board.
>Although they are a State board, they are not even located in Tallahassee.
>They are located in Jacksonville, FL. The CLIB is the board that handles all
>other trades, ie plumbers, roofers, AC contractors, etc. They have nothing
>to do with electrical or low voltage. Alarm contracting is very well defined
>in the proper statute.
>
>Not when I have been involved legislatively over the last nine years to
>craft the statute as it is written today and to teach the statute to the
>state investigators, as to how it pertains to our industry. Those that skim
>read, don't deal with the Attorney General's office, think they are above
>the law, and don't keep up with the changes after the legislative session is
>over are the ones to be easily confused.

Interesting point. I would think that with nine years of training
the investigators would act to stop the alleged violations
(supposidly reported to the state by various posters here over
the years) . Seeing how they haven't I would guess that the
alleged violations are not valid, or the state of Florida just
doesn't care about actual enforcement. As for alarm contracting,
the statute I read states that an alarm contractor is one who
engages in a contract for compensation. With no contract or no
compensation, the state probably has no case (probably why they
never act on the issue). As for the electrical part, I doubt that
much has changed in the last couple of years since I read thru
the applicable statutes. Back then a license was needed if a
person was performing actual wiring installation/maintaince, or
directing the activities of those performing actual wiring
installation/maintaince. Since you are very familiar with the
subject, post up a link that shows that this has changed.