Re: Florida Statute According to RLB

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:49:19 GMT, Frank Olson
<Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> You admit
>> that RLB has been investigated and the investigation appaerntly
>> found nothing.
>
>Bob never said that.  Yes, RLB was investigated.  Coincidental to that
>same investigation, he stopped selling monitoring services.  What he
>does now is provide a link to a third party monitoring agency for anyone
>interested in having that done.  He used to contract for those services
>directly.  He will, of course, deny that discontinuing this recurring
>revenue stream had anything to do with the Florida Attorney General's
>investigation.  He will instead insist that the whole idea wasn't
>generating the "income stream" he expected (or some such nonsense).

As best as I remember an "alarm station" inside of Florida where
alarms are received and handled requires licensing, and alarm
stations outside of Florida are specifically exempted from
Florida's jurisdiction concerning Florida alarm station
licensing. Also as best as I remember (may be worth verifying)
acting solely as a broker for alarm services is also exempt from
alarm related licensing in Florida. A lot of alarm brokers are
licensed for one reason or another (looks good in a yellow pages
ad), but I don't think it is a requirement.

>> If the state ignores actual violations, they would
>> be assuming part of any liability that might arise as a result of
>> ignoring the violation, which I doubt they intentionally do. What
>> RLB did years ago to upset "the business", as best as I remember,
>> was to publish equipment prices which showed how much "the
>> business" was over charging customers for the equipment they were
>> purchasing. It really upset the "good old boy" alarm dealers that
>> were tripple pricing the equipment they sold to customers.
>
>There isn't a single alarm company that I know of that "tripple prices"
>equipment (unless of course you're referring to an *installed* price
>rather than a price for just the equipment).

Maybe they were quadrupling the price, who knows. Bottom line is
that when the lower equipment prices were posted on the net, a
lot of alarm installers started squealing like stuck pigs.