Re: Problem With ADT System - Need Advice

>But they are still far superior to DSC's wireless product line (IMO)
Even DSC knows their wireless is junk. That is why they hired someone else
to make it and run the show. The new DSC stuff is an improvement over the
old no doubt, but I still prefer Inovonics to all others I have tried.
"tourman" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As you know, I've been a big fan of Paradox equipment from day one, and
use the 1759MG with the 1641 high end LCD keypad as my "standard"
installation. By and large, my feelings still stand, although lately I
have become a little disillusioned with their wireless products.

They enroll easily, and are very reliable, but when batteries
inevitably go bad, there are problems. If the batteries in a wireless
motion go low, besides sending to the station, the LED will blink to
indicate which one needs the batteries changed. However, with the
smaller door contact, you have no such indicator. The event log will
show you (sort of) which device is low, but the only way to be sure is
to change all the wireless contact batteries (DL 2450 lithium at $3 a
pop). When I took this complaint to their tech support (superb by the
way), I was told there was no room in the chip for that indication - it
was full !! Also, you may have to power the panel down and up again in
order to clear the "RF trouble". But they are still far superior to
DSC's wireless product line (IMO)

I don't use the all-in-one Magellan because of the inherent flaw with
the dialer integral with the keypad. Also, again in my opinion, these
all in one devices are designed to fit a niche, but are not suitable
for whole house security - especially when hardwired panels are so good
and so inexpensive. I have come upon houses that are TOTALLY drywalled,
and where this type of panel is pretty much the only kind it is
possible to install, but I always pass on that business. If I was going
to do them, I would use the GE model, with the dialer separate and in
the basement. I'm getting pretty fussy these days on the jobs I take.
At this point in my business, I'm virtually working for Revenue Canada
anyway, so screw it !! RMR is huge now with over 1000 accounts, and
it's hard to have enough write offs at year end to bring the taxable
income down to manageable levels.

The only other minor problem I've had is with one or two DG75's going
bad and causing false alarms that cost me money. But that's to be
expected with literally 1000's in service I guess.

Paradox will likely never be big in the US because of entrenched bias
towards US companies. However, they are huge world wide in over 41
other countries spread all over the globe. Such is life !!

Cheers !

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada