Re: Nick update 2#

JoeRaisin wrote:

> Having gotten in shape and learned how to defend myself made a huge
> difference in how I felt about myself and life in general.  That's one
> of the reasons I pushed my boys into martial arts.

I can't argue with you there.  I practiced Judo when I was young
(thirteen to fifteen) to help boost my confidence.  In the high school I
went to guys were always getting beat up.

> When I went to the instructors course for hand to hand combat one of my
> instructors used to say that it gives any argument a whole different
> feel when you realize that the only reason the other person isn't dead
> is because you have made the choice NOT to kill them.

I hear ya.  I don't know whether it wouldn't be more humane to finish
them off though.  Some of the injuries we can inflict will leave a
would-be attacker permanently disabled.  I don't think many would be
able to recover from a knee strike (or having their elbow joint suddenly
reversed).  As for having someone gouge out an eye ball...  That would
just plain suck.

> I find it calming...

But only when they're disarmed, lying on the ground, writhing in agony
and you're holding their eyeballs...  ;-)