Re: Nick update 2#

Frank Olson wrote:
> JoeRaisin wrote:
>> Frank Olson wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sn "expert".  Just a student.
>>
>> Which discipline?  Just curious...
>

> Disciplines.  Kick-boxing (I've got a green belt, my son - who has way
> more time and goes to more classes - just got his brown) and Kendo.  And
> just lately my son also "roped" me into taking Kyudo (Japanese archery).
>  Both of us wanted some experience with hand to hand fighting before
> taking up weapons.  Our kick-boxing instructor teaches some of the Krav
> Maga techniques I observed on the videos in the link I posted earlier.
> It's interesting how some of the disciplines "cross over".

Kick boxing is great but I just don't have the quick reflexes and get
hit way too much.  A grappling technique makes for a good adjunct
though, even for those who are quick enough.

I had a buddy while I was in Japan who did Kendo - It's impressive to
watch.  I never did try it (reference my comment on my reflexes).  I am
pretty good with a knife though.

I suppose the disciplines cross over because there are only so many ways
to punch someone in the head or kick them in the jewels.  IMHO, the key
is to get used to physical combat so that finding yourself in such a
situation isn't a shock, and then having developed muscle memory for
various techniques so that in the heat of battle all you have to do is
decide what you want to do and your body carries out the order on its
own.  Since you're not distracted by thinking about the kick you're
launching or making sure your fingers are gripping the wrist just so,
you can be deciding what to do next or figuring out your opponents strategy.

For me, to be honest, it is about confidence.  I was pretty much a
punching bag growing up.  I was in the best shape I had ever been in
when I went into the Marines at 19, and while I still stood 6'1" I only
weighed between 135 and 140 pounds depending on what I had for
breakfast.  During the initial strength test I couldn't do three pull
ups and barely finished the first 1 mile run.  Our first time at the
confidence course I didn't even make it half way up the biggest rope
(about 30').

Three months later I weighed 180, could do 20 pull ups and made my final
three mile run in just over 20 minutes.  On our last visit to the
confidence course I had to go up two ropes, one in each hand (that way
there is no way to use the legs).

Having gotten in shape and learned how to defend myself made a huge
difference in how I felt about myself and life in general.  That's one
of the reasons I pushed my boys into martial arts.

When I went to the instructors course for hand to hand combat one of my
instructors used to say that it gives any argument a whole different
feel when you realize that the only reason the other person isn't dead
is because you have made the choice NOT to kill them.

I find it calming...