Re: Nick update 2#

Frank Olson wrote:
> Robert L Bass wrote:
>
>> I've never watched Muay Thai.  What's it like?
>

> Would you like a personal demonstration???

LOL - I can't see that being very helpful.  After about three seconds,
even if the person is still conscious, most wouldn't be very aware of
what was being demonstrated.  All they would really know is that it hurts...

It isn't real pretty to watch unless you know what's going on.  In Muay
Thai you strike with not just your hands and feet but train to
incorporate elbows, knees and shins as well.  It's a good match for
Jiu-jitsu since knee and elbow strikes work very well in close quarters.

Marine hand to hand combat teaches (among other things) that whenever
possible, once you have made contact with an opponent you don't let go
until one of you is dead (hopefully the other guy).  That way the
training works in any environment, whether you can see or not.

Jiu-jitsu is all about taking the fight to the ground and wrapping up
your opponent.  Perfect for snapping joints, ripping out eyeballs or
breaking a neck - but there's no reason you shouldn't take out a few
ribs with a knee or use your elbow to cave in a temple while you're down
there.

The other thing about Muay Thai I like is that with long arms and long
legs my hands and feet have a long way to go when throwing a strike.
Knees and Elbows don't have to travel as far and make for a quicker
strike.

I liken my reaction time to that of a tree sloth so striking disciplines
such as boxing or tae-kwon-do have never appealed to me...

What would be REALLY cool to learn would be Krav Maga but instructors
are hard to find - or afford.