Re: Nick update 2#

"JoeRaisin" <joeraisin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:XylBj.65$KS.20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Robert L Bass wrote:
>> "JoeRaisin" wrote:
>>>
>>> Animosity back and forth in this news group does not negate the fact that
>>> Low voltage appliances, especially when used in a life-safety application,
>>> demands the same respect to its codes as does standard electrical.
>>
>> Agreed.

>>> But I'm talking about the same guy doing his 110 stuff carefully and
>>> professionally but slopping the low voltage around like spiderwebs.
>>
>> In that case I wouldn't hire him for anything at all.  The problem is a
>> lack of integrity.

>>> I had to look that one up.  You're talking about Capoeira.  I'm talking
>>> about the jiu-jitsu made famous by the Gracie family and their success in
>>> the Ultimate Fighting realm.
>>
>> If they were practicing "Brazilian Jiu-Jitso" it was Capoeira, the martial
>> art originally developed by African slaves in Brazil.  They were not
>> allowed to do martial arts so they modified the traditional African
>> techniques into the dance-like movements of Capoeira.  Most of the top
>> Brazilian Capoeiristas come from Salvador, Bahia.  That's where my second
>> home is.  You'd probably enjoy watching or even participating.  Everywhere
>> you go around Salvador there are demonstrations and contests going on,
>> especially in the tourist areas.
>
> Two separate disciplines:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira
>
> BJJ is a very recent discipline.

Very interesting.  I was not aware of this before.  I've heard a number of
people (Americans, not Brasilians) refer to Capoeira as "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu"
so I thought the two were one and the same.  Thanks for setting me straight.

> I will admit that Capoeira looks interesting but if I do start a new study
> it will be Muay Thai - that shit is deadly.  I learned a little as my
> Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor was big into mixed martial arts.

I've never watched Muay Thai.  What's it like?

>> Ah, now I understand.  They pushed you to do the work out of order.
>> Idiots! Bill them for the extra time.  It's certainly over and above what
>> you contracted for and it's definitely their fault.
>
> We are going to bill either the building owner or the sub contractor. All I
> know is that I have been told to make copious notes of what I've done and
> how long each step took.

Exactly.  Be sure to write not only the date of each item but note the day in
which the notes were recorded.  It makes your evidence more convincing.

>> HVAC people *never* adjust their stuff for alarm people.  They seem to
>> consider it their God-given duty to cut alarm wires and then hide the cuts
>> behind the duct.
>
> Well, in their defense nobody told them about the three foot clearance (back
> to my main point) and truth be told, moving my panel was a lot easier than
> moving an HVAC unit the size of our service vans.

True.  With us a wire can usually be moved easily.  Moving a duct or part of a
duct not only makes for more work.  It affects the airflow if it requires
additional bends.  It really sounds like the GC was at fault more than anyone
else.

>> Your salesman?   May I assume you delivered a steel-toed boot to the
>> appropriate orifice?  :^)
>
> No no no - you have your priorities all wrong.  Salesmen make money for the
> company.  Tech's are overhead.  If anyone gets a boot up whatever orifice
> you refer to it would be the tech for making the salesman look bad...

Heh, heh, heh.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass