Re: Nick update 2#

"JoeRaisin" wrote:

> Animosity back and forth in this news group does not negate the fact that
> Low voltage appliances, especially when used in a life-safety application,
> demands the same respect to its codes as does standard electrical.

Agreed.

>> Like alarm installers, some electricians care about their work.  Others
>> don't.
>
> But I'm talking about the same guy doing his 110 stuff carefully and
> professionally but slopping the low voltage around like spiderwebs.

In that case I wouldn't hire him for anything at all.  The problem is a lack
of integrity.

>>> It amuses me when guys like this try to intimidate me.  I stand 6'1",
>>> weigh 235lbs (36 inch waist - some fat but not too much), study Brazilian
>>> Jiu-Jitsu and taught hand-to-hand combat in the Marines - I'm not easily
>>> intimidated...
>>
>> Do you play berimbau?
>
> I had to look that one up.  You're talking about Capoeira.  I'm talking
> about the jiu-jitsu made famous by the Gracie family and their success in
> the Ultimate Fighting realm.

If they were practicing "Brazilian Jiu-Jitso" it was Capoeira, the martial art
originally developed by African slaves in Brazil.  They were not allowed to do
martial arts so they modified the traditional African techniques into the
dance-like movements of Capoeira.  Most of the top Brazilian Capoeiristas come
from Salvador, Bahia.  That's where my second home is.  You'd probably enjoy
watching or even participating.  Everywhere you go around Salvador there are
demonstrations and contests going on, especially in the tourist areas.

>>> AHJ came back out on Wednesday to reinspect and decided he wasn't happy
>>> with several of the speaker/strobe locations so I was out there for about
>>> 10 1/2 hours on Friday...
>>
>> Didn't you submit plans showing locations with the permit application?
>
> Yes and plan review was passed.  The ductwork wasn't in when the devices
> were hung by the subcontractor or when the system brought up, tested, fixed
> and retested by our guy. (see again my comment about why we had to be in
> such a blankety blank hurry to get our system up and running when the the
> darned mechanicals weren't even in yet)  turns out the views of
 several devices were obscured by the ducts (they have left much of the
building with open ceilings).

Ah, now I understand.  They pushed you to do the work out of order.  Idiots!
Bill them for the extra time.  It's certainly over and above what you
contracted for and it's definitely their fault.

> Hell, if they had installed the HVAC units 10 inches farther from the wall
> and run the lines to the AC compressors out the building a foot to the right
> the access issue never would have come up.  There was plenty of room but we
> weren't there when the heating and cooling guys were there so there was
> nobody looking out for us.

HVAC people *never* adjust their stuff for alarm people.  They seem to
consider it their God-given duty to cut alarm wires and then hide the cuts
behind the duct.

> The first day our guy was out there he came back to the office making train
> whistle sounds saying that the train was coming and we needed to make sure
> our car was off the tracks... but nobody ever listens to mere technicians -
> the salesman assured everyone things were just fine.

Your salesman?   May I assume you delivered a steel-toed boot to the
appropriate orifice?  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass