Re: Nick update 2#

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "JoeRaisin" wrote:
>>
>> In my experience, electricians don't seem to have any respect or even
>> concern for low voltage stuff...
>
> If they've been reading some of the posts from a few "professional"
> alarm installers here, that could account for the lack of respect.

Animosity back and forth in this news group does not negate the fact
that Low voltage appliances, especially when used in a life-safety
application, demands the same respect to its codes as does standard
electrical.

>> In houses where they are the ones running phone, tv and Data lines,
>> those wire runs are ridiculous even while the romex has been run neat
>> and professionally...
>
> Like alarm installers, some electricians care about their work.  Others
> don't.

But I'm talking about the same guy doing his 110 stuff carefully and
professionally but slopping the low voltage around like spiderwebs.

>> It amuses me when guys like this try to intimidate me.  I stand 6'1",
>> weigh 235lbs (36 inch waist - some fat but not too much), study
>> Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and taught hand-to-hand combat in the Marines -
>> I'm not easily intimidated...
>
> Do you play berimbau?

I had to look that one up.  You're talking about Capoeira.  I'm talking
about the jiu-jitsu made famous by the Gracie family and their success
in the Ultimate Fighting realm.

>> AHJ came back out on Wednesday to reinspect and decided he wasn't
>> happy with several of the speaker/strobe locations so I was out there
>> for about 10 1/2 hours on Friday...
>
> Didn't you submit plans showing locations with the permit application?

Yes and plan review was passed.  The ductwork wasn't in when the devices
were hung by the subcontractor or when the system brought up, tested,
fixed and retested by our guy. (see again my comment about why we had to
be in such a blankety blank hurry to get our system up and running when
the the darned mechanicals weren't even in yet)  turns out the views of
several devices were obscured by the ducts (they have left much of the
building with open ceilings).

Hell, if they had installed the HVAC units 10 inches farther from the
wall and run the lines to the AC compressors out the building a foot to
the right the access issue never would have come up.  There was plenty
of room but we weren't there when the heating and cooling guys were
there so there was nobody looking out for us.

The first day our guy was out there he came back to the office making
train whistle sounds saying that the train was coming and we needed to
make sure our car was off the tracks... but nobody ever listens to mere
technicians - the salesman assured everyone things were just fine.