Re: Nick update 2#

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "JoeRaisin" wrote:
>>
>> Animosity back and forth in this news group does not negate the fact
>> that Low voltage appliances, especially when used in a life-safety
>> application, demands the same respect to its codes as does standard
>> electrical.
>
> Agreed.
>
>>> Like alarm installers, some electricians care about their work.
>>> Others don't.
>>
>> But I'm talking about the same guy doing his 110 stuff carefully and
>> professionally but slopping the low voltage around like spiderwebs.
>
> In that case I wouldn't hire him for anything at all.  The problem is a
> lack of integrity.

>>> Do you play berimbau?
>>
>> I had to look that one up.  You're talking about Capoeira.  I'm
>> talking about the jiu-jitsu made famous by the Gracie family and their
>> success in the Ultimate Fighting realm.
>
> If they were practicing "Brazilian Jiu-Jitso" it was Capoeira, the
> martial art originally developed by African slaves in Brazil.  They were
> not allowed to do martial arts so they modified the traditional African
> techniques into the dance-like movements of Capoeira.  Most of the top
> Brazilian Capoeiristas come from Salvador, Bahia.  That's where my
> second home is.  You'd probably enjoy watching or even participating.
> Everywhere you go around Salvador there are demonstrations and contests
> going on, especially in the tourist areas.

Two separate disciplines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

BJJ is a very recent discipline.

I will admit that Capoeira looks interesting but if I do start a new
study it will be Muay Thai - that shit is deadly.  I learned a little as
my Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor was big into mixed martial arts.

>>> Didn't you submit plans showing locations with the permit application?
>>
>> Yes and plan review was passed.  The ductwork wasn't in when the
>> devices were hung by the subcontractor or when the system brought up,
>> tested, fixed and retested by our guy. (see again my comment about why
>> we had to be in such a blankety blank hurry to get our system up and
>> running when the the darned mechanicals weren't even in yet)  turns
>> out the views of
> several devices were obscured by the ducts (they have left much of the
> building with open ceilings).
>
> Ah, now I understand.  They pushed you to do the work out of order.
> Idiots! Bill them for the extra time.  It's certainly over and above
> what you contracted for and it's definitely their fault.

We are going to bill either the building owner or the sub contractor.
All I know is that I have been told to make copious notes of what I've
done and how long each step took.

>> Hell, if they had installed the HVAC units 10 inches farther from the
>> wall and run the lines to the AC compressors out the building a foot
>> to the right the access issue never would have come up.  There was
>> plenty of room but we weren't there when the heating and cooling guys
>> were there so there was nobody looking out for us.
>
> HVAC people *never* adjust their stuff for alarm people.  They seem to
> consider it their God-given duty to cut alarm wires and then hide the
> cuts behind the duct.

Well, in their defense nobody told them about the three foot clearance
(back to my main point) and truth be told, moving my panel was a lot
easier than moving an HVAC unit the size of our service vans.

I have run into dickhead heating and cooling guys but they are rare.
Most of them are just trying to put in a days work and my wires are way
easier to maneuver than their ducts.  Usually, if there is a conflict,
either they or the builder will give us a call.

>> The first day our guy was out there he came back to the office making
>> train whistle sounds saying that the train was coming and we needed to
>> make sure our car was off the tracks... but nobody ever listens to
>> mere technicians - the salesman assured everyone things were just fine.
>
> Your salesman?   May I assume you delivered a steel-toed boot to the
> appropriate orifice?  :^)

No no no - you have your priorities all wrong.  Salesmen make money for
the company.  Tech's are overhead.  If anyone gets a boot up whatever
orifice you refer to it would be the tech for making the salesman look
bad...