Re: OT: Physicians for a National Health Program

On Dec 11, 6:06 am, "Edmund Fitzgerald" <e...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Nathan W. Collier" <n...@xxxxxxx> wrote in messagenews:WLKdneqdW5_2KsDanZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> > "Doug Reese" <dre...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> This may come as a shock to you, but severity of the wound is not a
> >> factor in determining if it qualifies for a Purple Heart.
>
> > perhaps not.....but sustaining an injury that is treated with a band aid
> > doesnt make one a hero.
>
> > --
>
> As I recall Kerry received a Purple Heart when he tossed a grenade in a
> barrel of rice and took a couple of rice grains in the butt as he was
> running away.  Another band aid injury.

As is often the case with the anti-Kerry crowd, you recall
incorrectly.

The minor wound to which you refer was not what got Kerry a Purple
Heart.
Even though we had a guy killed then, it wasn't that injury.

The Purple Heart situation was later in the day, when there was combat
for the second time in several hours.

> Am I correct that three such injuries got him three Purple Hearts that took
> him out of harms way?  I can't imagine Kerry would be proud of those Purple
> Hearts, especially considering the Purple Hearts earned by our soldiers in
> Iraq and Afghanistan.

Purple Hearts are awarded for being wounded in the course of combat.
It makes no difference if the wound is serious, or minor. For that
matter, even if it is minor AND self-inflicted/friendly fire.

We don't distinguish PHs by anything other than that. Just ask Bob
Dole, who received a PH for a minor, self-inflicted wound in WWII.

>I should think Kerry would be ashamed to even apply
> for a Purple Heart for such an injury.  They need  to award Pink Hearts for
> those kinds of injuries.

You don't "apply" for a Purple Heart.

Doug Reese