Re: Esprit 728 keypads

On Feb 24, 9:30=EF=BF=BDpm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 9:02=EF=BF=BDpm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > RHC: Jim, I understand the the rational =EF=BF=BDbehind what both you=
 and Mark
> > > are saying, and I don't disagree in those cases. You are talking
> > > compatibility for some ten years here; however, with Paradox, we are
> > > talking only a couple of years at most. For example, they brought out
> > > the Spectra line 1728/1738 panels and they were latest and greatest
> > > for only about two years. Then they announced the newer Magellan
> > > 5000/6000/7000 series, which looked identical to the older line, but
> > > were not in any way compatible. Even the memory key being used for th=
> > > new line is different from the old. The keypads are not compatible,
> > > nor are the expander boards....nothing. AND they stopped production
> > > totally of the older equipment totally, so nothing is now available t=
> > > buy to replace boards or keypads that are defective.
>
> > > Two years is not an acceptable time for this kind of thing to happen
> > > in my opinion.There are a number of other products they have done thi=
> > > with as well
>
> > I can understand your anger at that, what has always confused me about
> > Paradox was the sheer number of panels they have, I thought the
> > Magellan was the all in one system but it appears to also be a
> > standard panel?
>
> RHC: Magellan is an all in one device, but Magellan is the name of a
> line of panels including the SP series of devices and also wireless
> devices. Its kinda confusing actually They have the SP5000, 5050, 6000
> and 7000 panels which are their standard (right now). If they screw
> with these like they did with the Spectra series, I'm gone: they're
> history......-

I know less than nothing about Paradox however, since the trend in the
industry over the last 10 or 15 years has been for manufacturers to
make panels that were fewer but more versatile, I can't imagine why
they would find it competitive or less expensive, production-wise,
making more varieties rather than making fewer.

BUT.... on the other hand, now that I think about it .......... Napco
started their Gemini line with the 3200 and 9600 which, for the times,
were the "all in one"  panels. Then competition drove them to produce
the 1632 and then the Freebee market has driven them to the 800 line
of weenie panels. And now the 1664 is being used ( I think) to open up
a new line of panels with some innovative/different features.
So ...... I guess that could be Paradox's reasons also.

As far as the "Spectra" line. You say they bought it out. I presume it
was another manufacturer (?) If so, then I would say the purchase of
the line was to get rid of a potential competitor, obtain some
technology that they wanted, some real estate (ie production
facilities), some production tools and machinery,  engineering staff,
and a following,  etc, etc etc. The actual product and or it's method
of production was probably not compatable with their own set up and it
would have been too costly to retain it. The company may have been on
it's last leg and ready to go out and Pardox got it for a song.

Just a guess. Ademco was famous for doing just that, for years and
years.