Re: ADI IN TOMS RIVER SELLING ON EBAY AGAIN

Jim wrote:
> On May 6, 10:13�pm, Frank Olson
> <use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Group Moderator's Ghost wrote:
>>> "Frank Olson" <use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Any reputable sensei would beat your ass and throw you out in the street for
>>> making comments like that.
>> Silly person... �you've never heard of "sparring"? �My Sensei has
>> nothing against it. �He'd be really interested in seeing BAss try to
>> "jiminex-slap" someone.
>
> How do you fight a thrown hammer or a swinging baseball bat?

First of all, you count on a lot of missing ;)

Then you have muscle memory for the follow up on your dodge or parry -
assuming you were able to dodge or parry.

Last, and most important, never bring a knife to a gunfight - as we use
to say in the Corps, "Nothing will take the fight out of a man quicker
than a gaping hole in his chest."

Seriously, though - anyone who claims that self defense techniques or
even a particular martial art is a be-all end-all guarantee is either
lying or foolish.  What they will do is give one a better than average
chance against an average opponent.  The rest is luck...

> I always get a kick out of you "self defense" people. You see too many
> movies.
>
> Bill Cosby used to tell this story about a guy who kept getting
> mugged. So he took Karate lessons for a few years. Spent thousands of
> dollars. When he was confident that he could take on any challange he
> walked down a dark street in a bad neighborhood, with money hanging
> out of his pockets. Sure enough, someone comes up behind him and says,
> "This is a holdup". The guy jumps up in the air and turns around
> facing the mugger in fighting stance and shouts "KARATE"!
> The mugger shouts "MONKEY WRENCH"!

I like the one where his friend learned to do a quick turn elbow strike
if someone comes up behind him.

Same set up, walking around with money hanging out of his pockets, then
it came - "Gimme your dough" from behind.

His friend tightened up his elbow, quick turn around... it was a midget.

"What are you? Some kind of song and dance man?  Gimme your money or I
blow your kneecap off."

> If anyone is really out to get ya, they're not going to come expecting
> that you're not going to put up a fight, unless they're pretty stupid.
> And you never know how well someone is able to defend themselves.
> I'm never unarmed.

Might I suggest training in "weapon retention."  Unless, of course, you
have already done so - then - good on ya.