On Jun 22, 2:19 pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > On Jun 22, 12:29 pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> Charging a fee for providing a service call doesn't necessarily make one
> >> part of the problem, the problem was the keypad beeping, the solution was
> >> stopping it beeping, the method of payment is another issue
> >> altogether.You
> >> elect not to charge a separate fee for a service call, instead charging
> >> an
> >> all inclusive fee and that's fine, it suits your business plan and it
> >> works
> >> for you and your customers, but it doesn't mean that those that charge
> >> for
> >> individual service calls are wrong.
>
> > RHC: Quite right ! Nor have I ever said or even implied so ! (at least
> > not deliberately....)
>
> The part that threw me was when you stated
>  **You're damn right I didn't charge her ! If you would have, that would
> make you part of the "problem" not part of the "solution"**
> somehow I misinterpreted that as a somewhat less than positive comment.
>
> Doug

RHC: Ok, let me try to explain what I meant by that. I see a lot of
opportunistic marketing in our industry where companies have only one
goal - to make as much money as they can, to do it as cheaply as they
can, to take advantage of every chance to make a dollar off a client,
and not to apply an ounce of humanity to some of the decisions they
make. I don't for a second doubt it's common in most other industries
as well. That's the "problem" I was alluding to. The "solution" is to
make money fairly and honestly, keeping the customer's best interests
first in mind, and treat every customer in much the same manner as you
would treat a friend. This means applying some "humanity" (I can't
think of a better term, so I'll leave that one in place) in some of
the decisions you make towards customers.

So if someone where to bill this little old lady given the
circumstances I laid out, it would certainly classify them in my books
anyway, as part of the "problem" and not the "solution"

I have to learn not to be too oblique on this newsgroup....