Re: Brinks Home Security Fraud

tourman wrote:

> RHC: I hope the hatchet truly is buried. I guess the tone and
> direction of future posts will tell the tale.

Are you going to call me to task for pointing out Bob's lies and
mistakes?  As long as he continues to post these, people (not just
myself) will respond.  The "tone" of my posts will not include flames or
derogatory names though.

> As for the DIY mantra,
> there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem with Bob's "mantra" is that involves bashing several
participants in this group.  The "noise" isn't going to diminish until
he recognizes how he contributes to it and decides to "play nice".

> It is so small, and so outside the
> scope of professional alarm system sales and installations that it has
> little even to do with us. It's a fact that any market will always
> expand into areas not adequately served, and this is just such a case.

He could learn a few things from the way Jim Rojas participates in this
forum.  I've never seen Jim "flood" the group with off topic sales
propaganda and reams of HTML.

> However, it represents no threat in any way shape or form to
> professional alarm sale and service.

Heh...  Now you're going against the "mantra"...  The one where Bob says
the alarm companies are all out to "get him"...

>> I could care a "fig" for his political opinions.  It's his continued and
>> flagrant attacks on others (and myself) that keep going "over the top".
>
> RHC: Lets hope that's done with.....

I sincerely doubt it.  Bob's posting style in this group will never
change.  As a consequence, newbies will always view him as the "victim"
(which is the position from which he can reap their maximum sympathy).

> RHC: Here in Ontario, law requires all homes to have interconnected
> smoke detectors on each floor of a home.

That's the same here.  The strange thing is that only Vancouver has made
smoke alarms with battery backup mandatory on all new home construction.

> These are designed to awaken
> sleeping residents and ensure time to exit the building. A non-
> monitored smoke detector on an alarm system does nothing to add to
> that level of protection (unless the residents are deaf and can't hear
> them, in which case the local horn would improve matters).

My point exactly Bob.  The local horn (or horns) and the ability to
output to other devices (like strobes) gives the local security system a
"leg up" over the standard 110VAC smokes.  Other features include the
fact that the smokes are supervised, and provided with backup power from
the system's rechargeable battery.  The same goes for carbon monoxide
detectors connected to a security system.

Yet you say you won't service a local system...

> A monitored
> smoke however, gives additional protection when the home is empty
> since it calls out and reports. Local insurance agents tell me they
> don't give a damn about the burglary part of an alarm, since the
> average burglary costs them about $3000, but any fire is going to cost
> in the $100's of thousands of dollars.

I can't argue with you there.

> Non monitored equipment of any kind IS part of the mantra of the DIY
> system. That is not in my market niche period !! With 1000 accounts, I
> am being very careful what I take on in the way of additional
> business. I have very little service business and I'd like to keep it
> that way.....

I take it by that comment that you don't perform annual inspections on
the equipment you monitor.  We charge a modest fee for this service on
local systems which is reduced if the customer incorporates it into his
monitoring contract.  Customers that opt for the service are also
provided with batteries at no charge (this includes wireless components
of the system).

> RHC: Yeah, I certainly understand this frustrationll. I answer
> numerous calls from people asking questions that could be answered if
> they read the user manual for their alarm. It's very frustrating at
> times, but I think we all do it from time to time on other matters.
> It's just part of the job unfortunately...RTFM it is !!!!!

I can't tell you how many people misplace (or throw away) their user
manuals.  We get the same kind of calls as well.  I think it "goes with
the territory".  It's a "cross we all have to bear".  :-)