Re: Brinks Home Security Fraud

On Jun 19, 12:30 pm, Frank Olson
<use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't see anything wrong with the way you conduct yourself generally,
> either.  Banter is one thing, but exchanging personal messages (that
> should remain in the realm of email or IRC) is quite another.  As
> "Nomen" so succinctly stated...  It's a waste of bandwidth (much like
> Bob's "html" floods of the past).

RHC: Ok, I'll concede your point. It is a waste of bandwidth since it
doesn't concern security matters. I'll hold off on those posts, but
I'll also mention it when others don't do so either...fair enough ?

> When you consider the source of the more "hurtful" discussions on this
> newsgroup, openly posting such a personal exchange is nothing short of
> provocative.  You should know better.

RHC: Provocative !...?. It seems every time RLB says anything at all,
he gets jumped on. I'm not defending him or attacking him; just
pointing out that it goes two ways. One or both of you should be man
enough to bury the hatchet for the sake of peace on the newsgroup. I
don't really know what has gone in real life between you guys, but for
crying out loud, get over it.

> Yet you won't post any responses to "RLB" regardless of how horrifically
> wrong (or "over the top") they are.  Perhaps it's a good thing that
> you've limited your participation here.

RHC: His political opinions are his to give (even off topic). We all
get carried away at times.

> > But they are never given in a tone that
> > implies the person asking the question is some sort of idiot for not
> > knowing what we know as professionals in the business. Over the last
> > few years, it seems anyone asking a question ends up being scorned in
> > some manner, especially if he is a DIY'er who doesn't want his system
> > monitored.( Don't get me wrong - I don't bother with local systems in
> > any way, shape or form. I firmly believe that having anything to do
> > with a local system is a waste of my time and the client's money! The
> > equipment is only part of an alarm "system" which is the end to end
> > functionality, and that includes proper physical security
> > precautions !! ) That said, it is his choice, and not my place (or any
> > of our places) to scorn him for his shortsighted decision.
>
> We service quite a few local systems.  All of them have been upgraded to
> include a fire detection component.  To deny service to a customer
> because he doesn't have monitoring is just plain wrong.  As long as
> they're willing to pay the service charge, why not "bother" with them?

RHC: As I said, they are a waste of my time and his money ! I'm not in
the business to encourage people to "micky mouse" their "system" and
make a few extra bucks for a service call. They are completely free to
do what they want; it's their security after all. However, I am just
as free to choose not to waste my time on their systems, instead
keeping myself free to service professional systems that I am
responsible for. It's freedom of choice for both the consumer and me
as a business man responsible for my time and actions. It's hardly
wrong in any sense !  The customer can call anyone else they want to
and that company is just as free to say yay or nay !! No one is
obligated to provide service to anyone in those cases where they are
not under a contract of any type....

My comment still applies as regards to how some new people coming to
this newsgroup are treated.

> AlarmFarce fills a "niche".  They've positioned themselves as the
> "cheap" alternative for people that just want a sign on the door.  No
> one that really knows security (and that includes much of the criminal
> element) gives their installations the ratings Joel Matlin does.

RHC: And in the process, they give our industry a bad name. There is
nothing anyone can do in a free market to prevent this, but it's
equally wrong to just accept this level of opportunistic, simplistic
security marketing without objecting as professionals to what they do.
We both know their whole "system" is sh*t !!

> > Brinks I only know about through posts on this
> > newsgroup - they are simply not active in our area of Canada (and
> > thank goodness for that I suspect......)
>
> > But the newsgroup has become next to useless for any real technical
> > purposes I see it having, to the point where I hardly ever read it
> > anymore.
>
> Which is exactly my point.  If you contribute to the "noise" you're not

RHC: Noise in my definition is the hateful sniping and comments that
some (including RLB at times when he responds to you and others)
continue to smear over most every post in the newsgroup. It's hard to
find even one thread that doesn't deteriorate to mudslinging of some
kind. THAT is my point, regardless of who is at fault. There are times
when I plow through this stuff, and my only inclination is to yell out
for all of you guys engaging in this stuff to grow the hell up !!!!!

Frank, unless you have further thoughts, lets drop this thread. I know
what I see and you are free to disagree with me on those matters. At
this point, I think we are both wasting bandwidth. I've said it all
before many times.

Feel free to comment if you want the last word...:))....regards