Re: Brinks Home Security Fraud

"tourman" wrote:

>> What second gear problem is that?  I haven't yet bought the Venture -- it
>> still belongs to a riding buddy.
>
> RHC: Early model year Ventures (1983 through about 1987) lose their
> second gear on or about 45 to 50K miles. The repair is a major one,
> about $1500, since the tranny has to be completely torn down. Mine
> went and that's what it cost. Check into this before you buy a bike in
> those model years.

Interesting.  Coincidentally, I'm having a second gear problem with the M109R.
A mechanic says there's a good probability that the "shift fork" (or something
like that) is bent.  According to him, the fault probably lies with the dealer
who sold and serviced it.  I spoke to Suzuki today and they say they'll try to
get the dealer to repair it for free.  If that fails, I might have to file a
lemon law action.  Florida is fairly strict about it (not as good as
California, but still fairly pro-consumer).  The clutch went out twice in less
than 6K miles.  Now, at 8500 it needs a tranny overhaul.  Needless to say, I'm
more than a little PO'd.

>> I understand.  There's an alternative, though.  A Harley dealer in town
>> rents
>> Sportsters and a few other models for ~$100 a day.  While not cheap, it's
>> still less expensive than trailering a bike down from Canada.  Anyway, if
>> you'd like to visit we can still fire up the BBQ.  You'll be the only
>> member
>> of the newsgroup to really know how good those burgers are.  :)
>
> RHC: Next year I'll plan on that, bike or no bike....

Excellent.  Just let me know ahead of time so I make sure I'll be around.
Can'tr have you showing up to find a "Gone to Brazil" sign on the door.  :^)

> I'm working to get out of this industry permanently within the next
> two years or so. I have become very disillusioned with it over the
> last couple of years. Things seem to be getting worse for customers
> not better. Mind you, customers often bring it upon themselves by not
> shopping properly, but that doesn't excuse the opportunists and
> scumbags of which there seem to be many.

I'm not sure it's better or worse than it always was, Bob.  I always took
pride in doing offering comprehensive protection at a reasonable price.  There
are a few dealers I know who seem to hold the same values.  There are also,
unfortunately, those who are just in it for a fast buck.  They make the whole
industry look bad.  I suppose it's that way in every trade, though.

> I also missed a visit with J Rojas this year, but hope to see him next
> year as well.  We have long term vacation commitments in Florida for
> two or three months of each winter so I will be down there quite a
> bit.

Maybe we can convince Rojas to get out of the garage for a few hours and join
us down here in Sarasota.

> Ride safe my friend.....keep the rubber down and the burgers hot...:))

Will do.  You ought to see the shindig we're planning now.  I've got a band
coming from Orlando and a local DJ to fill in during breaks.  We're putting
down a dance floor.  Next year I'll probably install a permanent one.
Fortunately for us (and for our neighbors) the house is shaped like a huge
"C".  The music is almost inaudible at my only abutting neighbor's place and
behind our wall there's a small farm.  No matter how loud or late we party, no
one ever complains.  Of course, the fact that we usually invite the nearby
neighbors over doesn't hurt either.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics