Re: cleaner wiring solution needed

Pre-Contract? Must be a residential installation term I've never heard of.
Or is that the technical term for "trunk slammer"? Don't worry, there's no
fear of me going residential. Maybe I'm not as tall as the job requires, or
I realized that making $1.23 an hour wasn't worth my time. I'll leave all
the good stuff for others.
I'm ok with zero false alarms, and triple RMR for now. But if I do get
bored....I could start installing Ademco and download the official "mikey"
installation manual. Is that available on CD yet? You're a funny man Mikey.

"mikey" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> It wasn't a pre-wire, it was a pre-contact job. First time I ever heard of
> one of those. I've never seen contacts installed in a pre-wire, good thing
> Jack doesn't do residential any more, I wouldn't have had to go back to
the
> truck for a ladder to catch that one. The builder warning ain't much of a
> tip either, I think he's slipping. Maybe too much DMP, I think he should
> broaden his horizons ;-)
>

> "Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Sheesh, that was a nasty one.
>

> "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Personally....I have to go back about 11 years when I did residential. I
> > honestly can't remember ever selling, or just doing a prewire only. But
on
> > the other hand I do recall going out to a house that was supposedly
> > pre-wired by another dealer, and the new homeowners elected not to spend
> the
> > other $1,200 bucks to have the system installed. It was a referral from
> one
> > of my existing customers. When I got to the house, the homeowner stated
> that
> > the entire house had been pre-wired, and he just needed the devices
> > installed. Knowing how wonderful a typical installation (Residential)
> > Company here in Maryland does things...I decided to dig deeper, and just
> > make certain they did a good job, and I wasn't going to get screwed.
Holy
> > shit! These idiot's put the control panel up in the first floor hall
> closet,
> > (no big deal). When I opened the hall closet, sure as shit, there's
about
> 18
> > to 20 some-odd wires all coiled up pretty as can be. Then I decided to
go
> > down into the basement, and have a look at the wiring job. That's where
it
> > ended. I couldn't see any wire what-so-ever, none. I poked around, and I
> > could see the bundle of wires going up through the floor to the front
hall
> > closet, but they ran over an HVAC duct, and then disappeared. I went to
my
> > truck, grabbed a latter, looked up on top of the duct....there's a coil
of
> > wire all rolled up sitting on the duct. About 15 feet of 18 to 20 wires
> > going to nowhere....They even drilled the windows out, and the doors,
and
> > even placed the contacts in them....but ran not one single wire to them,
> or
> > any of the devices. At first glance from the hall closet, this house was
> > wired to the hilt. The homeowner sued the Builder for $4,000 dollars,
got
> > his $800.00 dollars back from the alarm company, and I put a $1,800
dollar
> > system in.
> > I guess the moral would be....don't deal with the pre-wire, if you don't
> > have the entire system.
> > Most Builders are cheap bastards, and ALL eventually will screw you one
> way
> > or another.
> > Deal directly with the Homeowner, whenever possible.
> >

> > "Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > ....and should I care? Do we have to cater to the lowest-common
> denominator
> > when installing or can we install per our design preferences?...see what
> I'm
> > saying? Whaddya think?
> >

> > "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > Crash....start wiring a few zones back to some keypad locations.
There's