Re: cleaner wiring solution needed

"Aegis" <lordaegis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:LoO_d.14300$WK2.13776@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> I am currently wiring up a vista 20p system
>>> and have run into a situation where I will
>>> have brought 8-10 wires going to 1 screw
>>> post for aux power.  Does anyone have any
>>> recommendations on a cleaner way to wire
>>> this up so that the wires will not be so messy
>>> to the single post?
>>
>> Bring all of the red (+) and black (-) wires together in two bundles.
>> Add an extra pigtail lead to each bundle.  Solder and tape the splices.
>> Run the pigtails up to the AUX power terminals.  This is the best
>> technique.
>>

> I have to disagree. An improvised power distribution bus is the best
> technique, IMO.

I agree, but for the fact that some of the older control panels were housed
in much smaller cabinets.  Robert's method (while crude) also allows you to
selectively disconnect powered devices for trouble-shooting.  Another system
a number of companies use (including ours) is to use the yellow and black
wires (in your standard quad for contacts) and the green and red for
negative and positive power (respectively) for powered devices.  If you wire
the keypads the way the manufacturer suggests it makes it easy to pick out
keypad power (which would still be red and black) from the other devices
attached to the aux power terminals.

A caution to the OP (I believe it was already mentioned) is to ensure you're
not exceeding the recommended output from your aux power terminals.  Most of
the powered devices you have to attach come with specifications that often
include "standby" and "alarm" current draws.  Always us the "alarm" spec
when calculating your system's power requirements.  If you find you need an
additional power supply ensure you "common" the negatives of the system's
aux power and the extra power supply.  You may have to house it in another
cabinet if you don't have room for two batteries.

Good luck!!