Re: cleaner wiring solution needed

Personally....I have to go back about 11 years when I did residential. I
honestly can't remember ever selling, or just doing a prewire only. But on
the other hand I do recall going out to a house that was supposedly
pre-wired by another dealer, and the new homeowners elected not to spend the
other $1,200 bucks to have the system installed. It was a referral from one
of my existing customers. When I got to the house, the homeowner stated that
the entire house had been pre-wired, and he just needed the devices
installed. Knowing how wonderful a typical installation (Residential)
Company here in Maryland does things...I decided to dig deeper, and just
make certain they did a good job, and I wasn't going to get screwed. Holy
shit! These idiot's put the control panel up in the first floor hall closet,
(no big deal). When I opened the hall closet, sure as shit, there's about 18
to 20 some-odd wires all coiled up pretty as can be. Then I decided to go
down into the basement, and have a look at the wiring job. That's where it
ended. I couldn't see any wire what-so-ever, none. I poked around, and I
could see the bundle of wires going up through the floor to the front hall
closet, but they ran over an HVAC duct, and then disappeared. I went to my
truck, grabbed a latter, looked up on top of the duct....there's a coil of
wire all rolled up sitting on the duct. About 15 feet of 18 to 20 wires
going to nowhere....They even drilled the windows out, and the doors, and
even placed the contacts in them....but ran not one single wire to them, or
any of the devices. At first glance from the hall closet, this house was
wired to the hilt. The homeowner sued the Builder for $4,000 dollars, got
his $800.00 dollars back from the alarm company, and I put a $1,800 dollar
system in.
I guess the moral would be....don't deal with the pre-wire, if you don't
have the entire system.
Most Builders are cheap bastards, and ALL eventually will screw you one way
or another.
Deal directly with the Homeowner, whenever possible.