Re: cleaner wiring solution needed

It wasn't a pre-wire, it was a pre-contact job. First time I ever heard of
one of those. I've never seen contacts installed in a pre-wire, good thing
Jack doesn't do residential any more, I wouldn't have had to go back to the
truck for a ladder to catch that one. The builder warning ain't much of a
tip either, I think he's slipping. Maybe too much DMP, I think he should
broaden his horizons ;-)

"Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sheesh, that was a nasty one.

"Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Personally....I have to go back about 11 years when I did residential. I
> honestly can't remember ever selling, or just doing a prewire only. But on
> the other hand I do recall going out to a house that was supposedly
> pre-wired by another dealer, and the new homeowners elected not to spend
the
> other $1,200 bucks to have the system installed. It was a referral from
one
> of my existing customers. When I got to the house, the homeowner stated
that
> the entire house had been pre-wired, and he just needed the devices
> installed. Knowing how wonderful a typical installation (Residential)
> Company here in Maryland does things...I decided to dig deeper, and just
> make certain they did a good job, and I wasn't going to get screwed. Holy
> shit! These idiot's put the control panel up in the first floor hall
closet,
> (no big deal). When I opened the hall closet, sure as shit, there's about
18
> to 20 some-odd wires all coiled up pretty as can be. Then I decided to go
> down into the basement, and have a look at the wiring job. That's where it
> ended. I couldn't see any wire what-so-ever, none. I poked around, and I
> could see the bundle of wires going up through the floor to the front hall
> closet, but they ran over an HVAC duct, and then disappeared. I went to my
> truck, grabbed a latter, looked up on top of the duct....there's a coil of
> wire all rolled up sitting on the duct. About 15 feet of 18 to 20 wires
> going to nowhere....They even drilled the windows out, and the doors, and
> even placed the contacts in them....but ran not one single wire to them,
or
> any of the devices. At first glance from the hall closet, this house was
> wired to the hilt. The homeowner sued the Builder for $4,000 dollars, got
> his $800.00 dollars back from the alarm company, and I put a $1,800 dollar
> system in.
> I guess the moral would be....don't deal with the pre-wire, if you don't
> have the entire system.
> Most Builders are cheap bastards, and ALL eventually will screw you one
way
> or another.
> Deal directly with the Homeowner, whenever possible.
>

> "Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> ....and should I care? Do we have to cater to the lowest-common
denominator
> when installing or can we install per our design preferences?...see what
I'm