Re: Please recommend a non-monitored system

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:49:56 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> > "tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> >
> >> As always, you and I will have to agree to disagree, but as Bob Lalond=
e=20
> >> has politely suggested, I'll try to bite my tongue on the subjects tha=
t=20
> >> tip your wagon over. And since I rarely visit this site any more, you'=
ll=20
> >> likely have little reason to spue your brand of invective again. Take =
all=20
> >> of the above any way you please..
> >>
> >> Some things like this group have lived past their usefulness I guess..=
.

> > WHAT?!?  I'm the voice of reason?  Say it isn't so!
>=20
> Speaking of alarm.com... didn't there used to be a member of this group w=
ho=20
> provided some advance services years ago (like customer access to account=
=20
> reporting) using that url who also hosted an on-line chat for us=20
> occasionally?  Ferguson I think was his name.  Was he behind the current=
=20
> alarm.com?

I can't remember that far back, and I don't know the sources for alarm.com.=
 I do know they serve the purpose of providing high tech/low end home autom=
ation services for alarm companies that choose to take the easy route to th=
ese kinds of solutions. I personally believe these companies could be shoot=
ing themselves in the foot over the long term, by seriously depleting the k=
nowledge base of their staff on the most basic of IP communications. For ma=
ny unfortunately, it's the short term profit over the longer term view that=
 wins out.There is no doubt, Alarm.com does serve a worthwhile and quick an=
d painless solution for some companies, but also causes some resentment, si=
nce they are horning in the traditional areas of RMR that we generally need=
 to supplement our company revenue streams.=20

The value of RMR is not lost on any company in the service business, and ma=
ny envy our ability to generate it. The large American company Reliance a f=
ew years ago, purchased Protectron up here in Candad and changed the name t=
o Reliance/Protectron. Rumour has it, their only interest in the alarm comp=
any was to gain access to the 500 thousand or so current customer base in o=
rder to solicit them to buy rental water heaters...again RMR in their pocke=
t. Think of it..a $400 water heater renting for $25 a month on a TEN year c=
ontract is a lot of profit for them.

DSC has made another near sited move by bringing out their new NEO line of =
panels and encrypting the bus module so no third party applications can be =
used. I'm sure they have their reasoning but the end result is continuing t=
o maintain a closed environment for third party add on home automation modu=
les of any kind. At dealer introductory meetings I attended, they caught he=
ll for it, but it's not likely to have any effect on them until it starts c=
utting into sales.=20

In the end,it's always about the money trail....