Re: Please recommend a non-monitored system

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:28:42 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:25:00 PM UTC-5, tourman wrote:
> =20
> > >=20
> > > So .... you're actually calling me a liar?  and $28.00 ??????  .... a=
nd you still think that month to month contracts get just as much as term c=
ontracts? You're actually pitiful if you do.=20
> > >=20
> > > And, oh yeah ... 40 years???, you'll not be around to be able to comp=
are what your son "could" have got if you'd had any sense at all.=20
> > >=20
> > > All I've got to say is, as much as you're not here any more, it's bee=
n that much more enjoyable not having to listen to you constantly moan abou=
t contracts and ADT ..... Jeeze   man ...... get a fucking life already.=20
> > >=20
> > > Nobody else here harps on anything since your rotten fuck friend assh=
ole buddy did us all a favor by dying a nasty fitting death.... but even in=
 your short appearances here, you've still got to carry on endlessly with y=
our incessant bullshit. I never make one mention pro or con about contracts=
 neither here or any other group that I participate in. I know that some pe=
ople use them and some people don't but .... so be it. I don't care what th=
ey do .... but if they, like you, would try to bully me or anyone else with=
 a pack of lies as you do ..... ain't gonna happen.=20
> > >=20
> > > The very fact that you endlessly have to bring the subject up shows j=
ust how much your that your main objective is to cause turmoil over somethi=
ng that's so fucking radical in the alarm trade that you think that you hav=
e to constantly defend it.  There's no one here who cares what you think ab=
out contracts in the past or anymore. We here all KNOW what you think about=
 them and no one will ever try to convince you to think otherwise ..... tha=
t is until you start with the same old horse shit you've been spewing out o=
f your mouth for years. Get off the soap box ..... the rest of the industry=
 isn't listening and we don't want to hear it either. And especially since =
it's now the ONLY thing you contribute to this group.=20
> > >=20
> > > I believe that's called being a troll ..... right? You wouldn't be fo=
llowing in someone's dead footprints ..... would you?=20
> > >=20
> > > How proud he must be........ I'm sure he's looking UP at you admiring=
ly.

>=20
> =20
> > No one here is calling anyone a liar, least of all me. By questioning m=
y >numbers, it's more like you are calling me a liar if I wanted to carry t=
his >stupid discussion to it's end point. It amazes me to see someone I rea=
lly >thought was a professional calling another a liar and acting just like=
 those >you oppose, simply because conditions are quite different in your a=
rea versus >mine.
>=20
> I didn't say you were lying about being offered $28.00 .... I'm just amaz=
ed that you actually think that it's a good number? It's peanuts.
>=20
>=20
> > Then you go on a rant about Robert Bass who you've obsessively hated si=
nce >day one and who has nothing at all to do with this discussion.
>=20
> Since I'm obviously dealing with a troll I just seemed appropriate to bri=
ng up the your asshole buddy whom you seem to be emulating.
>=20
> > We disagree strenuously on some things and that's ok, but you just join=
ed the >rest of those who insist on dragging every discussion to the bottom=
 of the >barrel.=20
>=20
> Only because you insist on dragging every discussion down the same old "n=
o contracts and ADT" path. Leave that subject alone and things will be just=
 peachy. And that's EXACTLY what makes you a troll ..... by the way. You KN=
OW what's going to happen .... yet you insist on doing it anyway.=20
> Yep....that's a troll alright.=20
>=20
> The only way to deal with a zealot is to squash him. Zealots have tunnel =
vision. There's no negotiating with a zealot. You're a zealot and you get w=
hat you deserve.
>=20
> >I only stayed on in this newsgroup on an occasional basis [VERY occasion=
al]
>=20
> And Robert .... I am truly appreciative and grateful for that.=20
>=20
> >because of the very few who do know their stuff. Clearly this newsgroup =
is >pretty much useless for professional discussions by pros in the busines=
s.
>=20
> Well we can all thank your asshole buddy for that .... can't we ..... and=
 you too, come to think of it..... since you sided or didn't disagree with =
what he did to people and the other groups he trashed. And I'll freely and =
gladly admit that I added to it. But .... only "added" to what that rotten =
miserable fuck already was doing to this group and had done to others for y=
ears. He was a zealot ..... too.  =20
> =20
>=20
> > You're old school and there's nothing wrong with that. But times are no=
t the >same as when you and I started in business.
>=20
> Old school? Well tell my how proficient you are at installing and setting=
 up computer networks and creating extended whole premises Wi-Fi networks. =
 How many home theater, surround sound and automated lighting systems did y=
ou install last year? Do you ever install any CCTV, commercial or residenti=
al remote view? How about Z-wave devices? Have you done any Insteon lightin=
g and control systems? How about central station reporting with remote arm =
and disarm and condition reporting? .... and NOT pay the rip off alarm equi=
pment manufacturers or Alarm.com or any of the others trying to take away i=
nstalling companies RMR. Have you figured out how to integrate IPads and IP=
hones into all of the above technologies yet?=20
>=20
> I already know the answer. You're still stuck on picking up old ADT accou=
nts because you like to keep it simple .... to match your technical capabil=
ity. My jobs range from $3k to $40,000.00 and some take months to complete.=
=20
> You're way behind the times as you've been since the day you started. And=
 Oh ...by the way, I've been around a lot longer than you have, there's no =
"when you and I started in business". I don't count working for someone els=
e as you do so I've got 45 years and counting in this trade alone,  not cou=
nting the previous technical experience when I was a kid, in the Navy and w=
orking for computer equipment manufacturers prior to this trade. ...... and=
 I just keep on keeping up with the newest and latest. You ought to try it.=
 I could open up your mind considerably.  You're obviously in a rut, closed=
 minded and can't see the way out. =20
> =20
>=20
>=20
> > I wish you well in selling your >business when the time comes.
> >=20
> > So I'll sign off for good and I hope you have a nice life (and I mean t=
hat...)
>=20
> You've said that all before. Yet ...... here you are again with the same =
old shit you always have to bring up.=20
>=20
> You're always welcome to participate but you're always going to receive t=
he same response if you start with the same shit.

Whoa..backup...calm down...take a deep breath.=20

Although I will be leaving on my terms, just for the record, lets set the f=
acts straight. We do ALL the high tech things you have said you also do. Wi=
thout the ability to keep with up with new solutions, you simply fall behin=
d. We even consult at $100 an hour with other alarm companies in over their=
 heads or those who lazily take the alarm.com avenue and find they are stil=
l in over their heads. Frankly, I am getting tired of using our expertise i=
n bailing out companies unwilling or unable to learn the new technology nec=
essary to continue to operate. Unfortunately, my son truly enjoys helping p=
eople - even those who compete with us.

During the last four years, our customer base has DOUBLED with 80% of our b=
usiness calling for high tech solutions. The average price of an alarm now =
is double or more what it was before, and the days of simple alarm installs=
 are gone. Our problem is keeping up with growth and having the trained sta=
ff to do what is needed to run a corporation. We are fully booked at least =
a month in advance for any sophisticated system, and people still wait. My =
son and his field people do the work and being 70 plus, I was supposed to t=
ake a back seat, but find myself in full time duties doing office managemen=
t and front end assistance. We have also taken a front seat in working with=
 a few third party vendors in assistance and guidance in bringing forth pro=
ducts designed for third party applications specifically for the security i=
ndustry. Security now covers, electronic, physical and environmental servic=
es  =20

Our client base are highly educated, highly paid people in professions or t=
hose who work for government. They are smart enough to know that a long ter=
m contract is not in their best interest, so gravitate to us quickly. But t=
hey also demand top quality high tech installations and good, personal serv=
ice. Other companies routinely complain about our low prices and month to m=
onth contracts, but interestingly enough, have quickly gone that route. My =
approach to them is do whatever is good for your business, but don't compla=
in when clients don't like your restrictions. Outside of that, I really cou=
ld care less... =20

After 25 years in business, there are many things about this business that =
I despise and just as many that I love, same as you. Unnecessary long term =
contracts are one, alarm companies that lock their boards as a matter of co=
urse with no regard to the ownership of the board, and most of all, compani=
es like ADT that systematically rape and pillage other companies for their =
own bottom line gain. They should be industry leaders but instead choose to=
 only look at their bottom line. Sure, I know that is capitalism at its wor=
st, but the history of their shoddy work is rampant here and now they are a=
bout to destroy a fine company up here called Protectron, likely putting 10=
00's out of work and dragging their monitoring services down to ADT levels.=
 Their "takeovers" are simply the easiest money we can make since most are =
simply "cash grabs" and anything but high tech...

So you'll have to excuse my feelings towards them. I don't "hate" them; I r=
efuse to allow hatred in any form to soil my being. I'm not sure what word =
applies, but hate is not one of them. I do love this industry just as you d=
o, but feel I have to speak out when I see things that are not in a custome=
r's best interest or the interest of the industry as a whole. And whether y=
ou agree with them or not !=20

As always, you and I will have to agree to disagree, but as Bob Lalonde has=
 politely suggested, I'll try to bite my tongue on the subjects that tip yo=
ur wagon over. And since I rarely visit this site any more, you'll likely h=
ave little reason to spue your brand of invective again. Take all of the ab=
ove any way you please..=20

Some things like this group have lived past their usefulness I guess...   =
=20