Re: Please recommend a non-monitored system

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 3:33:59 PM UTC-5, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-8, stran...@xxxxxxxxx wr=
ote:
> > hello,
> >=20
> > I'm looking for a a system  that will alert me if anyone tried to break=
 into my home a night.
> > There are only a few possible entrances to my home, I want put sensors =
on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will inst=
all it myself.
 a non-monitored system... http://tinyurl.com/nn655zm
>=20
> However, I'll try to be slightly more useful and also provide this link: =
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/swann-magnetic-window-or-door-alarm-04601=
59p.html
>=20
> On the other hand, as has been mentioned by someone else on here already,=
 the people on this forum install real alarm systems.  I personally wouldn'=
t use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy fro=
m a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc.  Ever notice that these stores don't=
 use the alarm equipment they sell?  They must get a good deal on parts and=
 could get a staff member to install them in a day for practically nothing,=
 but still no.
>=20
> Bottom line is that if you want a system you can rely on: get a real syst=
em, get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitored.
>=20
> - Chris

Your advice is spot on. DIY systems are next to worthless. These people ass=
ume simply calling a cell phone is sufficient 'response' to any alarm. Afte=
r 100's of alarms at the monitoring station, the reports show it's pretty o=
bvious that one number clearly doesn't cut it.

On the other hand, there are not many professional companies that will inst=
all a professional system without long term, overpriced contractual monitor=
ing options, so the shopper for this kind of system is really on his own.