Re: ADI IN TOMS RIVER SELLING ON EBAY AGAIN

Jim wrote:

> How do you fight a thrown hammer or a swinging baseball bat?

You never let go of your weapon.  Throwing it at someone isn't an option
they teach you.  As for a "swinging bat", there are certain techniques
that are taught.  The Bo staff is the closest thing to a "baseball bat"
in our dojo, although it's a bit longer and tapered towards each end.
There are methods that involved stepping into the attacker, but you have
to see them coming and be able to "read" body language.  The best
defence is to "run".  Which is why we spend a lot of warm-up time doing
just that.  :-)

> I always get a kick out of you "self defense" people. You see too many
> movies.

Actually, I don't watch much in the way of martial arts films.  I lean
more towards romantic comedies.

> Bill Cosby used to tell this story about a guy who kept getting
> mugged. So he took Karate lessons for a few years. Spent thousands of
> dollars. When he was confident that he could take on any challange he
> walked down a dark street in a bad neighborhood, with money hanging
> out of his pockets. Sure enough, someone comes up behind him and says,
> "This is a holdup". The guy jumps up in the air and turns around
> facing the mugger in fighting stance and shouts "KARATE"!
> The mugger shouts "MONKEY WRENCH"!
>
> If anyone is really out to get ya, they're not going to come expecting
> that you're not going to put up a fight, unless they're pretty stupid.

Never underestimate your opponent (or victim as the case may be).

> And you never know how well someone is able to defend themselves.

Correctomundo!

> I'm never unarmed.

I always have both arms with me as well.  And I never leave home without
my American Express card.