Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5xI6h.12503$Cv6.2015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>  You, Worthy, are no better with all your
>> so-called "giggles and kicks."
>
> It is "kicks and giggles" by the way. That alone states that none of it is
> serious, but I guess that would probably be left to the reader to decide.
>
>>All that does is drive away serious professionals.
>
> I seriously doubt that my comments drive away serious professionals. They
> may not post for different reasons, but the ones that monitor this group
> are
> here for what they are looking for and I am sure they will delete what
> they
> are not interested in, which I will agree may be alot of what goes on
> here.
> But believe they are here. HELLO EVERYONE!! :o]
>
>>I've been told by more than one manufacturer's
>> rep that they don't post here
>
> Robert, who you trying to kid? Most factory reps don't even know about
> this
> group. So does your "more than one" mean two?

You're a relative newcomer to ASA.  I've been contributing to this newsgroup
for around 8 or 9 years.  Since I sell more than 150 product lines in my
online store I've gotten to know many manufacturers' reps and tech support
staff as well as reps from virtually every major distributor in the
industry.  Quite a few of them have lurked here for a while, but decided not
to post due to all of the attacks.  One or two have occasionally posted tech
helps but after a while they left as well.

You'd be surprised how many people in the trade read this newsgroup.  It's
far better known than you might think.  The same applies to a lesser extent
to the home automation newsgroup.  Those who've been around longer will
remember that Rick Helmke of HomeSeer and some of his employees used to
contribute there.  Ask him why he no longer participates.  He'll tell you in
no uncertain terms and it has nothing to do with me posting.  He was driven
out, like most true industry professionals, by the antics of the same group
of people who post trash here.  One of Napco's tech support used to
participate here as well; not anymore.  It's true whether you choose to
believe it or not and it's your fault, along with the other characters like
Olson, Mugford, Jiminex, Leuck and Doug.

>>specifically because of all the racism, vulgar >language and vitriol.
>
> Hopefully, that is not directed at me. Racism, absolutely never. Vulgar,
> not
> in the sense you would like people to believe, minor word at best.
> Vitriol,
> a word that its meaning can cover a wide range but mostly as meant as
> venomous. If you have taken any of my posts as venomous, which is
> something
> that is usually thought of as acting first, as in an attack, rather than
> in
> a response, than I think you may be confusing me with someone else.

No, I'm not confusing you with anyone else.  You act like a schoolyard
bully, thinking what you do here is hidden away in an obscure "chat room",
but it's not.  Everything you say is viewed by tens of thousands of people.
It's not just see by folks searching Usenet either.  Google returns rlated
newsgroyup threads as well as web pages even when people are onl searching
the www.  Additionally, there are several websites that autmatically archive
this newsgroup, creating searchable html pages of every post.  Search engine
spiders crawl those sites.

> Most all of my posts are in response to someone else.

It makes no difference whether you start a thread just add fuel to the fire.
When you post rude or denegrating comments about another dealer online, you
contribute to the poor image the industry has in the public eye.

> If they appeared as "attacks" and were unwarranted,
> I didn't see anything discrediting the response...

I don't need to respond to your rude posts for them to appear rude.  It's
what you say, not how I reply that marks the kind of person you are.  You're
well-known in the trade and when you post garbage it makes you *and* the
trade look bad.  You can call it "giggles" all you want.  You still come
across to outsiders as a buit of a jerk.

Another example, far worse than you, of industry misbehavior is Mugford.
Here you have a guy who not only weorks in the industry but even sits on the
state ECLB.  So what does he contribute to the industry-related forum?  Tech
support?  Nope.  Information about developments in the trade?  Nope.  He
posts vulgar, personal attacks on another tradesman.  When he tried (and you
can deny this all you want but we both know it's true) to get me in trouble
with a false complaint to the licensing authority, all I had to do to get it
summarily dismissed was show the agent the onlne record of Mugford's posts
to this newsgroup and his "contributions" to Sabodish's hate website.  The
state agent was aghast!  He saw right through what Mugford was doing.
Imagine what it looks like to a prospective client from your area who
happens to discover this newsgroup.  You and a few other nasty-mouthed perps
fill the newsgroup with personal attacks, right-wing, racxist trash and the
like.  Do you think you'd stand a chance of being hired by that customer?

> There is mostly good communications on industry related issues and you
> would
> have to admitt that.

No, there isn't.  The majority of posts here are either OT, offensive or
both and you are partly responsible for that.  You're nowhere near as bad as
Olson, Jiminex and Cracker but you're still responsible for bringing the
newsgroup a notch lower.

> Every once and a while someone will come here with
> nonsense, like Sonic Duck for instance, and they get
> spanked. Or someone will come here asking for
> information that really should not be given out over the
> internet regardless of ones viewpoints about how the
> industry operates. They get shutdown rather quickly...

Wrong.  Frequently, people who come here asking legitimate questions get
attacked.  The worst in that regard is Cracker, but when you or anyone else
responds to a newbie with rudeness, you mark yourself as a jerk.  A few of
these guys seem to think that if several of them post the same trash in
response to my every comment, they will look good and I bad.  They're wrong,
of course.  They just look like a bunch of inerudite bullies and because
they claim to be "professionals" they make the profession look like a bunch
of fools.

> Freedom of Speech is wonderful thing and should
> never be depressed...

I think you meant suppressed.  :^)

We're not talking about freedom of speech.  You are free to post whatever
you want.  I'm only suggesting that while you exercise your freedom you also
exercise self-restraint.  Do what you like.  It's your choice but make no
mistake about it.  There are consequences.  You may not see it or even be
aware of it (clearly the simple-minded here don't), but when you post nasty
comments about other tradesmen and when you respond rudely to visitors, you
hurt the industry.  This is an industry which you *claim* to care about.
We'll see whether that's true by how you comport yourself.

> The unfortunate part is that you have lost the respect
> of some of the regulars over the years....

Nonsense!  Other than a few relative newcomers, most of the worst offenders
were here when I first came to this newsgroup.  They tried to keep me from
posting under the mistaken impression that they could actually regulate an
ALT newsgroup.  There was a ridiculous effort to create a FAQ which was
supposed to govern to govern who could say what.  This was in the early days
and most folks here had no idea how Usenet works, other than to set up
Outlook Express or Agent to read and post.  When they realized there as
nothing they could do to prevent me from advising DIY end users how to
install their own alarms (they even tried to *prohibit* me mentioning my own
URL in my posts) they resorted to posting all kinds of personal attacks.
This has gone on unabated for years.

If you want an example of a freedom of speech battle, this was it.  I
exercised my right to post advice to DIYers.  Jiminex, Doug and a few others
tried to stop me.  They didn't understand the relationship between ISP's and
newsgroups, in particular ALT newsgroups so of course they failed.  What
they've done instead (and you have contributerd to this) is fill the
newsgroup with scorees of daily attack posts.

> Jim's written opinions and comments are between you and him...

Nope.  That would be true if he were sending me email.  By posting his
verbal diahrrea in the alarm industry newsgroup, he denegrates the entire
trade.  However, there's no point in telling him that.  He's way beyond the
ability to comprehend his own sickness.

> What does that have to do with your direct post to me
> or at least calling me out, about what I write?

This is not just about you.   There are no private conversations in Usenet.
Whatever he posts affects the industry image.  The same applies to you.  I
don't bother trying to have a reasoned conversation with Jiminex.  He's not
capable of it.  But you are.  I addressed you because I think you're adult
enough to see what you're doing is wrong if you stop trying to defend
yourself and think about it for a while.  I hope I'm right about that.

For clarity, I'm not accusing you of racism.  This discussion is about the
public misbehavbior of a group of people who have ruined this newsgroup.
Your part of this has been less severe than most but you contribute to the
overall negative impression of the industry with personal snipes.  You can
continue trying to explain away what you're doing or you can carefully
consider it ans perhaps change for the better.  It's up to you.

--
Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics