Re: cleaner wiring solution needed (resend)

> Fire detection adds another dimension to
> the liability...however, he has an obligation
> ...paying me.

While this client was obviously just a deadbeat deserving of whatever you
could lawfully do, there are times when a gentler approach may be better.
In the late eighties there was a downturn in the economy.  A lot of people
were suddenly out of work.  A fair number of our clients informed us that
they would not be able to pay for monitoring because they were out of work.

I called each one back and told them that their alarm would be monitored for
free for one year.  After about a year and a half things started to pick up.
Most people were working again.  I think we lost around five clients total.
However, those were made up for many fold by referrals from appreciative
clients who we carried for a year without payment.  During the time when
many other small alarm companies failed or were sold, we actually grew our
RMR base.

Obviously that would not help with a deadbeat client like the one you
described.  But when good customers go through hard times the best thing you
can do for your business is to treat them well.  They'll stay with you
forever and you'll get their friends and families too.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics