Re: cleaner wiring solution needed (resend)

> There is a law.  It's called larceny.

Nope.  The "law" you're referring to isn't called "larceny".  "Larceny"
refers to a whole series of criminal activities which by their very nature
are "against the law".  "Double billing" a customer's credit card (which you
have engaged in only recently) is a form of "larceny" for instance.

> When you
> sell something to someone and then secretly
> disable it so that they must continue to pay
> you after the agreed upon price has been paid
> that is a form of theft.

Nope.  No "law" I know of would identify what you just described as "theft".
Limiting access to installer level programming on a monitored alarm system
is only good business practice and designed to keep a customer from
inadvertently screwing up his alarm system.  Using panel lock-outs is most
often used to restrict other alarm companies from easily taking over
equipment that is either leased or rented and not *owned* by the end user.
But then "tarring all alarm companies with the same brush" is a tactic you
frequently engage in to support your particular DIY "mantra".

> Alarm companies do this all the time.

Nope.  "They" don't.    The better way to word this would be to say "some
alarm companies do", and I personally haven't seen this used to the extent
you imply for at least the last ten years (at least in my area of
operation).

> They get away with it only
> because most people are unwilling to fight
> back or lack the knowledge of their rights.

What rights??  Their rights under an enforceable contract?  Or their
"rights" to their personal property?  It seems to me that most contracts
I've seen aren't as "simple" as the one you use yet clearly try to stipulate
the "rights" and expectations of the alarm owner and the alarm company.
Even your own contract sets a minimum annual term and requires a proper
notice period to cancel it.  The fact that you're willing to "waive" that
period is a personal choice you can make, but it never-the-less does not
diminish the fact that the clause could also be easily enforceable.

>> ...I'm going to head out on my motorcycle
>> soon and leave things in good hands!!
>
> I'm considering buying a small "Ninja" bike --
> not a real powerful one, just something to
> buzz around town with.

Make sure it has the "heavy duty" suspension package.  :-))