Re: Door Bell Install Via Homerun Closet

"petem" wrote:

> sorry I am not perferct when I type in english. So does it mean that what I
> say is non sense...

No.  I wasn't sure what you were trying to say.  However, even without the
spelling and grammatical errors (which I usually ignore since English is not
your primary language), you're still spouting nonsense.

> Some here are perferct in english, but they still make no sense at all..

I'm sure you speak perfect French but your post was nonsense all the same.

> ok and the OP is talking about using REGULAR doorbell now tell me what type
> of controller do you use with that?

The gentleman mentioned a "key system" in the first post.  If by that he meant
that he originally considered connecting it to his telephones I would suggest
a Doorbell Fon with a module to trigger the regular doorbell as well.  OTOH,
if he only wants to trigger the doorbell, he could connect a relay module.
Many modern doorbells are DC operated.  They draw minimal current -- typically
less than 100 milliamps -- at 12 VDC.  Others which still use AC current.
Common doorbell transformers are rated at 10 Watts and 12 Volts.  You can get
them with as much as 30 Watts at 24 Volts but those are rarely used except in
very large homes with multiple chimes and long wire runs.  The OP gave no
indication his home was exceptionally large and he said nothing about multiple
chime units.

> If the gentleman intends to connect nothing but the chime, the transformer
> and a button, he will make a splice in the homerun closet.  That's a simple
> procedure that any DIYer can handle without need of a paid professional.

> NO, he is not, the code say 16 gauge for normal doorbell operation, if he
> doesnt respect that, he is not doing it properly.

The code?  What chapter and verse of which code?  I don't know about Canada
but most doorbell wiring in the USA is 18 gauge.  Modern, low current
doorbells can use 20 gauge.  The OP is considering usaing CAT5, which consists
of 8 strands of 22 gauge cable.  Wiring that into 2 strands will more than
handle the current and will give better than 18-gauge.

> 16 gauge wire info...
> [snip]
> And now for 24 gauge...
> [snip]

Lets make it simpler.

18 gauge (the stuff electricians use all over the USA) has a resistance of
about 6 Ohms per 100 ft.  4 strands of 22 gauge CAT5 cable wired together will
have a resistance of roughly 4 Ohms per 100 ft.  In short, the CAT5 he has
will be safer than 18 gauge and virtually identical to 16 gauge (which almost
no one uses for doorbells).  Got it?

> if he feed the normal transformer on a cat5e cable there is a BIG
> probability of overcharging the wiring...

Uh, no.  There is not.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass