Re: Door Bell Install Via Homerun Closet

"Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-mail@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion : b865b5tr8aovajdqc0skpiiu2p7u4dud9g@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:04:21 -0400, "Petem" <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> <michael.roback@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
>> discussion :
>> michael.roback-85C4B0.15564613092009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> I have a bit of an unusual situation. I wired up my house when I did a
>>> remodel to install a key system and an intercom at the front door. As
>>> such all I did was run a four pair Cat5e from the doorbell to the
>>> homerun closet. I have decided not to install a key system but instead,
>>> just a doorbell. Unfortunately i did not run a doorbell wire from the
>>> location where the doorbell would be to the front door to the chime
>>> location and back to the transformer! What I did do is run a four pair
>>> Cat5e from the front doorbell to the homerun closet as well as a four
>>> pair Cat5e from the area where the chime would be mounted to the homerun
>>> closet. Couldn't I just connect the the same color e.g. (brown
>>> white/white brown) pair to the front doorbell as well as the same at the
>>> chime and do all of the cross connects in the homerun closet to complete
>>> the circuit and energize the doorbell. That is, connect the doorbell to
>>> the chime with the same half of the pair and the other two conductors
>>> (one from the doorbell and one from the chime go to the transformer,
>>> that will be mounted in the homerun closet. There is not another way for
>>> me to install a hard wired doorbell. Help if you can. If this does not
>>> make sense, please let me know. Any suggestions or advice would be
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> check with the local electrician to know if there is a minimum required
>> wire
>> gauge for doorbell, cause even if you use electronics one that are ok
>> with
>> small wire, next home owner could want to use a big doorbell that has
>> large
>> gong on it and it could draw much more power..
>
> What's the use of that?  The cable there is the cable that is there.  The
> OP just wants to know if he can use it - he already said that he can not
> now add any heavier duty cable.  What reason would he have for inquiring
> with electricians whether future owners could use it in different ways?
>
> I believe Cat5 uses 24 AWG wires, good for say 0.577mA, so all four pairs
> could be joined to carry around 2 1/4 amps continuously and even more for
> briefer periods of ringing.  I'd say you can run a heck of a noise maker
> through that, else why not operate a relay to control a bell louder than a
> fire station uses to call the volunteers from the fields and factories?
>
> Tony

yup thats a good way for putting a place in fire..

lets say he twist 4 wire for one conductor and the same for another
conductor, thats all right.. but with time at some jonction 3 out of 4 wire
come loose and only 1 is left for the whole job.. now a short come on some
part of the wirring and the the transfo is not a protected type one.. after
some time heat will develop from the small wire and could eventualy provide
just enough heat to start a fire in the wall..

good thing he have some fire insurance... bad thing he didn't do his wiring
ok, they wont pay..

if there is a minimum gauge writen somewhere in the electrical book of his
state or province, he should follow it, thats it... usingm multi wire to
provide a large enough gauge is not something ok in any of the books  i've
read..