Re: Door Bell Install Via Homerun Closet

"Petem" wrote:

>> Whether done by a paid installer or a DIY homeowner, wires twisted together
>> under a screw terminal just don't unravel.
>
> And what about the jonction in the middle of the circuit?

There is no need for a junction in the middle of the circuit in this project.
If there was, I would suggest the gentleman solder and cover the splice with
shrink wrap.  Done right there's no problem, though as I said it's really not
necessary to make a mid point splice.

> and even under some screw if the wiring is short, the
> home owner can make bigger mistake that you think.

Under a screw?  What are you talking about?

>> Wrong again.  Take a look at a few homeowner's
>> insurance policies.  I have.
>>

> I dont know on what place on earth you live..

Yes, you do.  You know full well I live in Florida.

> ...here in Canada, if you dont install electrical stuff on
> par with the code, your doomed, and the insurance wont pay..

I don't work in Canada but I've heard "professional" installers who work in
the USA make the same bogus argument for years and it's nonsense.

>> The funny thing about this is that in hundreds of
>> "professional" security systems that I took over
>> during the 24 years I ran an alarm company, it was
>> and is common practice to double up 22-gauge,
>> 4-conductor wire for sirens and transformers, both
>> of which usually call for 18-gauge wire. None of
>> those installations ever had a fire caused by the\
>> practice.
>
> show me when I called for ALARM technician on this?
> i spoke about electrician.. your meds must be too strong...

I mentioned alarm technicians because that's the industry I'm in.  I didn't
say that you did.

> And its not because its working on sirene and class
> 2 transfo with alarm, that it will be ok with a class 1
> transfo with out fusing... you are mixing many thing...

I used sirens and transformers as an example to illustrate the point.  Sorry
if that confused you.

>> The funny thing is that it is common practice among
>> professional installers --  the people you say he must
>> hire to get the job done right.
>
> Where am I talking about low voltage installers?

We are discussing a low voltage DIY project.  Do you believe that an
electrician is needed for all low voltage work as well?

> Yup and the next home owner will use a regular doorbell
> with a class 1 transfo and the place could burn down if
> the doorbell or the wiring get shorted...

Yeah, sure.  Can I interest you in a nice bridge, too?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics