Re: Door Bell Install Via Homerun Closet

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:04:21 -0400, "Petem" <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> <michael.roback@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
> michael.roback-85C4B0.15564613092009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> I have a bit of an unusual situation. I wired up my house when I did a
>> remodel to install a key system and an intercom at the front door. As
>> such all I did was run a four pair Cat5e from the doorbell to the
>> homerun closet. I have decided not to install a key system but instead,
>> just a doorbell. Unfortunately i did not run a doorbell wire from the
>> location where the doorbell would be to the front door to the chime
>> location and back to the transformer! What I did do is run a four pair
>> Cat5e from the front doorbell to the homerun closet as well as a four
>> pair Cat5e from the area where the chime would be mounted to the homerun
>> closet. Couldn't I just connect the the same color e.g. (brown
>> white/white brown) pair to the front doorbell as well as the same at the
>> chime and do all of the cross connects in the homerun closet to complete
>> the circuit and energize the doorbell. That is, connect the doorbell to
>> the chime with the same half of the pair and the other two conductors
>> (one from the doorbell and one from the chime go to the transformer,
>> that will be mounted in the homerun closet. There is not another way for
>> me to install a hard wired doorbell. Help if you can. If this does not
>> make sense, please let me know. Any suggestions or advice would be
>> appreciated.
>
> check with the local electrician to know if there is a minimum required wire
> gauge for doorbell, cause even if you use electronics one that are ok with
> small wire, next home owner could want to use a big doorbell that has large
> gong on it and it could draw much more power..

What's the use of that?  The cable there is the cable that is there.  The
OP just wants to know if he can use it - he already said that he can not
now add any heavier duty cable.  What reason would he have for inquiring
with electricians whether future owners could use it in different ways?

I believe Cat5 uses 24 AWG wires, good for say 0.577mA, so all four pairs
could be joined to carry around 2 1/4 amps continuously and even more for
briefer periods of ringing.  I'd say you can run a heck of a noise maker
through that, else why not operate a relay to control a bell louder than a
fire station uses to call the volunteers from the fields and factories?

Tony