Re: x10 activehome pro

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:kuksr2lq268179mdl3c0teh0d7hbn5gv1b@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:30:30 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
> <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
> <OcKdnY3Tadpz1yPYnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> installing a junction box with duplex
>>> outlets connected to each phase
>>> immediately adjacent to the entrance
>>> panel.
>>
>>Hmm.  If you do that you ought to use
>>bridged breakers to make certain that
>>both phases are dead while working
>>in the box.
>>
>>It seems like a good idea, Marc, but
>>I'd also check with the local inspector
>>to make sure they will approve it unless
>>you're only using this as a temporary
>>testing point.  The only issue about
>>which I'm concerned is the matter of
>>two phases in a box supplying 110V
>>outlets.  There is the possibility that a
>>future owner or worker may switch off
>>only one breaker, think the box is dead
>>and get a shock.
>

> Yes. Good points. That's what I did. I also used red and black wires for
> the hot conductors which is another indicator that the two outlets might
> be
> on two different circuits, and, in this case, on different phases.
>
> As I understand it, and according to Leviton's instructions for their
> phase
> coupler(s) -- I've had two different Leviton couplers -- the US National
> Electrical Code (NEC) requires double pole ("bridged")  breakers for the
> X-10 phase coupler.
>
> For example, the Leviton product bulletin for the HCA02-10E "System
> Amplifier/ Repeater/Coupler Module With Test Signal Generator"  states
> clearly:
>
> "Connects to a 15A double-pole breaker
> or two 15A S.P. breakers equipped with
> handle tie to attach two 120V legs in
> main panel box".
>
> I powered the 'test points' of the duplex outlets from the circuit for the
> ACT X-10 phase coupler. So tripping the breaker for one phase opens up
> both
> sets of outlets.  Our local electrical inspector has seen this setup at
> least twice and approved w/ sticker additions to panel. (There was other,
> much more extensive work done during remodeling.)
>
> As always, folks would be wise to know what the inspector for their
> Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) for the NEC  might have to say about
> the matter. That's the opinion that ultimately matters most wrt code
> compliance.
>
> ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.EControl.org

Marc, Robert and Dave,
       Wow, so much of that is over my head. I think it's been twenty years
since I inserted the capacitor between phases. Then I haven't dealt with
this stuff since. So, now I recall enough to be dangerous. (vbg)
       You might get a kick out of this. The last time I couldn't help from
x-10 people which was before I found you guys, I got so annoyed with x-10 I
bought the smarthome automation system AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO
PROGRAM IT.
       Thank goodness I'm older and retired and don't let so many things
annoy me. LIFE IS GOOD.
            Thanks again for helping me.
                            Tim fm CT