Re: x10 activehome pro

"John" <noaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:UsednVoCw7vmjiPYnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi John,
>>            I went to the site and read about the items. It appeared to be
>> an adobe format without links to purchase the products.
>>         In my searches, I found similar products from smarthome. It was a
>> phase coupler and filter and a booster that plugged into a electric dryer
>> plug. I think it was $79. Will that help my activehome pro work again?
>>

> Here is a link to the store on the site for filters.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2qntfh
>
> I use AF100 filters on 4 different appliances and the XPF filter
> on an entire circuit.
>
> I think you said that you already had a capacitor across the phases
> so I'm not sure that the $79. device would help.
>
> You need a filter on each appliance that is reducing the level of the
> X10 signal.  APC UPSs are almost a short circuit for the X10
> 120 KHz signal.  Many TV sets and most computer power supplies
> also are a significant load on the X10 signal.
>
> If you don't have a meter to measure X10 signal levels, you can
> verify that the phase coupling capacitor is doing the job by testing
> with an electric clothes dryer or an electric range to see if it has
> any effect on X10 operation.  Since both of those appliances
> operate on 240 volts and use a resistance heating element, they
> provide a good coupling of the X10 signal between phases when
> they are in operation.
>
> I use the ELK ESM1 tester to measure X10 signal levels.
> > http://tinyurl.com/yom4zb
> John
Thanks John,
                   It appears that moving the Acitvehome pro unit away from
the computer and in a more central area did the trick.
       I didn't have a handle on how it worked and I thought that it also
had to be plugged into a port of the computer.
      Because some lights a timed to go on and off at night etc. it may take
me a few attempts to verify all of my events.
        Thanks again,
                             Tim fm CT