Re: x10 activehome pro

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:32:45 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <45be11a0.790048656@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Tim Dolan" <tims-pool-leagues@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I found similar products from smarthome. It was a
>>phase coupler and filter and a booster that plugged into a electric dryer
>>plug. I think it was $79. Will that help my activehome pro work again?
>
>Before spending money on a coupler that you may or may not need, get an
>ELK ESM1 X-10 Signal Strength Meter. You can "borrow" one from Automated
>Outlet.

A good solution to the question of "Is it coupling problem?" that can also
be part of a wiring upgrade to better accommodate Powerline Control (PLC :
x-10, INSTEON, UPB) can be implemented for $5 and an hour's work by
installing a junction box with duplex outlets connected to each phase
immediately adjacent to the entrance panel.

Then test X-10 performance with each phase. Because you are near the main
panel, you can also can also handily reach the breaker panel to
remove/isolate branch circuits to determine which have devices that
attenuate the X-10 signal excessively or contribute noise.

If you also install a second double switch box in line with the outlets,
you can install an (eg) ACT CR230 coupler in compliance with US National
Electrical Code (NEC) should it turn out that one is needed.

ABIK, a coupler requires separate circuit breakers. Another approach is to
arrange the circuits in the panel so that all circuits with Powerline
Control devices (X-10, INSTEON, UPB) are on the same phase. You might want
to have an electrician assess/do this, because there are load distribution
requirements that need to be met/maintained.

See http://www.econtrol.org/x-10.htm

As shown in the second photo of my installation, this is also a good place
to install/park an Elk ESM  and(or) ACT Scopetest2

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org