Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>Robert,  Thanks,  My experience communicating
>>with ELK support last year was certainly positive
>>and supports your comments.  Maybe I'll send
>>them another question and see what the results
>>are.  I tried this with HAI and got a response
>>containing the text from their website indicating
>>they did not provide any DIY support, and to go
>>to my dealer...
>

> The problem with that from my perspective is many DIY end users will be left out in the dcold by HAI.  ELK has never done that.

No, they haven't.  They did release their M-1 Gold before it was UL
Listed though.  How many systems did you sell in that time that
incorporated heat or smoke alarms or did you make your customers aware
that they couldn't use the equipment to monitor for "fire"?  How many of
your "DIYer's" do you think would heed that advice?  Do you provide a
replacement board for those customers that want to option having a fire
detection system?  Perhaps that's something you should consider doing (I
would even suggest that it's the *responsible* thing to do).  It would
also mitigate any legal proceedings that might derive from your "gross
negligence in providing a product that wasn't properly listed for the
purpose".