Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:21:01 -1000, "BruceR" <razrbruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <459eb32f$0$9009$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Yes, similar to the Elk but the Stargate is MUCH more powerful than the
>Elk.

Expand on that if you would. I have an Elk M1G but am not wedded to it yet
because aren't many (any?) things I can do with it that I can't do in
another way. Stargate was supported by CyberHouse but I never ventured
there. The primary need for a PC at this point would seem to be for video
storage and processing.

>I don't trust leaving HA functions to a PC as HomeSeer requires.

OK. But the Elk M1G doesn't need a PC do run rules for and interact and
control INSTEON, Hardwired lighting eg Centralite, X-10 RF, Security, voice
alerts, voice dialer, 2-way listen-in,  thermostats, IR, Wireless and wired
analog inputs and General purpose digital inputs and outputs, communicate
over RS-232 or RS-485 or ethernet , or touch screen or control pads and so
on --  right? (Might you thinking of the  Elk Magic Modules that are akin
to the Ocelot? That's not what I am referring to.)

>The Stargate also has, although no longer offered, an IVR board which I
>use extensively.  For example, when I leave the house, based on which
>garage door is opened, calls are forwarded to my mobile. When I come
>home, the forwarding is automatically cancelled. The SG also calls to
>let me know when the mail arrives or a package is delivered as well as
>when the gardener arrives. Lots of other stuff too.

An Elk M1G, can do most if not all of that --leastwise my manual would
leave me to believe so ;-)

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1_Installation&Programming_Manual.pdf

It can call a list of up to eight numbers and send DTMF tone signals based
on event (say, from a motion detector), so if you can set up your phone
forwarding by dialing a number and pressing keys, it can likely do that
too. This is standard with no add-ons.

I'm not trying to convince you to do anything different. I'm simply
wondering about the capabilities of various HA 'panels' now that I've taken
the conceptual plunge and have begun investing time in scoping them out.

TIA ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org