Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

 Marc_F_Hult wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:21:01 -1000, "BruceR"
> <razrbruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> <459eb32f$0$9009$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Yes, similar to the Elk but the Stargate is MUCH more powerful than
>> the Elk.
>
> Expand on that if you would. I have an Elk M1G but am not wedded to
> it yet because aren't many (any?) things I can do with it that I
> can't do in another way. Stargate was supported by CyberHouse but I
> never ventured there. The primary need for a PC at this point would
> seem to be for video storage and processing.
>
>> I don't trust leaving HA functions to a PC as HomeSeer requires.
>
> OK. But the Elk M1G doesn't need a PC do run rules for and interact
> and control INSTEON, Hardwired lighting eg Centralite, X-10 RF,
> Security, voice alerts, voice dialer, 2-way listen-in,  thermostats,
> IR, Wireless and wired analog inputs and General purpose digital
> inputs and outputs, communicate over RS-232 or RS-485 or ethernet ,
> or touch screen or control pads and so on --  right? (Might you
> thinking of the  Elk Magic Modules that are akin to the Ocelot?
> That's not what I am referring to.)
>
>> The Stargate also has, although no longer offered, an IVR board
>> which I use extensively.  For example, when I leave the house, based
>> on which garage door is opened, calls are forwarded to my mobile.
>> When I come home, the forwarding is automatically cancelled. The SG
>> also calls to let me know when the mail arrives or a package is
>> delivered as well as when the gardener arrives. Lots of other stuff
>> too.
>
> An Elk M1G, can do most if not all of that --leastwise my manual would
> leave me to believe so ;-)
>
> http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1_Installation&Programming_Manual.pdf
>
> It can call a list of up to eight numbers and send DTMF tone signals
> based on event (say, from a motion detector), so if you can set up
> your phone forwarding by dialing a number and pressing keys, it can
> likely do that too. This is standard with no add-ons.
>
> I'm not trying to convince you to do anything different. I'm simply
> wondering about the capabilities of various HA 'panels' now that I've
> taken the conceptual plunge and have begun investing time in scoping
> them out.
>
> TIA ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.ECOntrol.org

I haven't tried programming an Elk, but when I suggested that I might
try one, a number of people in the Stargate group said that the
progamming complexity available in Stargate isn't available on the Elk
panel. The Stargate has nested if/then/else options, timer & delays,
flags, macros - just about any type of event can be programmed.  It has
digital and analog inputs and relay outputs, all expandable, with remote
relay boards connected via RS485.  There is an intercom line, voice
mail, auto attendant, caller ID recognition and touch tone control.
There is an IP server for remote operation and several RS 485 keypads
available. The PDA interface is very handy too. There is serial
integration to the Caddyx security panels too.

 I'm sure that the Elk panel has its benefits too and if I were just
making the choice today I would look at both very carefully -
particularly since Stargate no longer offers the IVR board!