Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

> I haven't tried programming an Elk
> but when I suggested that I might try one, a number of people in the
> Stargate group said that the progamming
> complexity available in Stargate
> isn't available on the Elk panel.

Likewise I haven't tried programming a Stargate so I can't offer you a point for point comparison.  However, the ELK-M1G is a very
capable HA controller and IMO deserves serious consideration.

> The Stargate has nested if/then/else
> options, timer & delays, flags, macros
> - just about any type of event can be
> programmed.

The ELK-M1G has numerous timers, complex "IF THEN" (they call it "WHENEVER"), flags, etc., and can be programmed to do just about
anytthing you can think of as an HA controller.  It is also a UL listed residential alarm control panel, something insurers like.

> It has digital and analog inputs and
> relay outputs, all expandable, with remote relay boards connected via RS485.

The ELK-M1G has all of the above but more of them than the Stargate.

> There is an intercom line, voice mail,
> auto attendant, caller ID recognition
> and touch tone control.
> There is an IP server for remote operation
> and several RS 485 keypads available.
> The PDA interface is very handy too. There
> is serial integration to the Caddyx security
> panels too.

ELK has touch tone control via internal and external phones though it is not an intercom or phone system.  It can also be controlled
via RS-232, RF, several ELK keypads, a touchscreen and TCP/IP using any browser.  The TCP/IP board provides web support.

Unlike Stargate, the ELK-M1G is a security controller.  It integrates with GE Security (used to be called Caddx) transmitters.  Any
of it's up to 16 to 205 zones (sensing circuits) can be digital or analog.  There are 13 onboard outputs, also expandable up to 205
outputs.  The ELK system supports up to 8 serial ports.

ELK's lighting control is compatible with Advanced Control Technologies, Inc. (ACT), Z-Wave, Centralite, Lighting Control Products.
Electronic Design Technology (EDT), Insteon, Leviton, Lightolier, Lutron RadioRA, On-Q Home (ALC) and Powerline Control Systems
(PCS), Simply Automated (UPB).

The ELK-M1G also interfaces with RCS, Aprilaire, and HAI communicating thermostats.

> I'm sure that the Elk panel has its
> benefits too and if I were just making
> the choice today I would look at both
> very carefully - particularly since
> Stargate no longer offers the IVR board!

Who knows?  You might even have chosen the ELK over the Stargate.  Since I'm an ELK Products dealer and not a Stargate dealer I'm
naturally more inclined to use the ELK, but it is what I've chosen for my own home.  As soon as I can climb ladders again I intend
to install the M1G along with Z-Wave lighting controls.  I'll be posting periodic reports on the project.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics