Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

Robert,  Thanks,  My experience communicating with ELK support last
year was certainly positive and supports your comments.  Maybe I'll
send them another question and see what the results are.  I tried this
with HAI and got a response containing the text from their website
indicating they did not provide any DIY support, and to go to my
dealer.  I thought I would give it a try, so found Smart Home listed on
the HAI site as a dealer for DIY users. On the Smart Home site I then
found a statement indicating that for HAI products, that I should
contact the manufacturer for all technical support.  "Catch-22 anyone".
 That killed HAI as an option.

Robert L Bass wrote:
> I checked on that.  I suspect the notice was put there to placate install=
ing dealers of the sort found in ASA.  You may have noticed
> there's a lot of hostility on the part of some "professional" dealers tow=
ard DIY.  The notice also gives ELK a legitimate out should
> someone who hasn't a clue try to spend 3 hours on the phone with them.
>
> ELK has never charged any of my clients for tech support.  They do want c=
ustomers to seek help through the dealer that sold them the
> product.  I usually can answer any questions my DIY customers have.  When=
 I don't know something I make a 3-way call and let ELK
> answer.  Then my client knows and so do I for the next customer.
>
> No matter how this plays out long term I will of course act as a go betwe=
en for clients needing tech support from ELK just as I do
> with every other manufacturer we carry.  To be clear though, no one I kno=
w of has ever been charged for ELK tech support.