Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

  <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> "bruceR" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I tried searching Google for GS and came up with nada.  Thanks for
> that information.  Where did you learn all this stuff, Bruce?

After 35 years (and counting!) in the telephone business I picked up a
tidbit or two.  I used to design Telecom PBX and data cabling systems for
Fortune 500 companies, large hotels/resorts, universities, hospitals and
even a couple of National Parks.  Before I sold it in '92, I had grown my
business to a 60 person telecom consulting firm with 3 offices and projects
as far away as Asia and Moscow.

> >  More than you care to know is here:
> >  http://telecom.tbi.net/groundst.htm
> >
> > Bottom line: you'll never need a GS button for residential work.
>
> That would seem to be the case.  I wonder if that's the reason they
> got remaindered?  I assume the cord was cut for the same reason they
> used to notch LP records that were promos, etc. - to make them
> unsalable as normal retail.

Perhaps, but more likely because telcos and other pro field people need more
features to test DSL & CID. Some of the butt sets in use today are really
computer terminals.  Or maybe the cordsets had special connectors like
testboard plugs.  The GS button is still useful for GS PBX trunks which are
still in use but rapidly being replaced by T1 interfaces to bring in the
trunks digitally.  Cutting the cords was definitely to make them surplus
items - much to our delight!

> I did order two, BTW, because there's a neighbor's kid who's help me
> run cable.  Probably couldn't find a better gift for $20.  Thanks
> again!

I'm sure he'll be thrilled. I was when I got my first one.