Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

"bruceR" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I bought one of those $20 butt sets

OK - say no more - SOLD!  I didn't realize you had purchased one.  That
makes it quite a different ballgame.  You're part of a small (but growing)
number of folks here whose recommendations can be taken to the bank.

> and I think you'll be more than pleased with the value. It's perfect
> for occasional use and not a piece of junk by any means. There
> are terminals inside for attaching a new cord set - no
> soldering required.

No soldering?  Might even buy two!  (-:  That big black rubber job really
need to be retired.

> I reused the grommet and bought a pair of test leads
> with angled tips for a 66 block and a bed of nails.  'All' seems to be out
> of the cordsets right now but they're on ebay pretty cheap - or you can
just
> use a piece of speaker/lamp cord with alligator clips.

I have test leads coming out of the wazoo. IDC, little hooks, sewing needle
probes stuck in dowels and shrinkwrap.  I'll figure it out.

>  The 'GS' button is for use with Ground Start trunks - something you
needn't
> be concerned with unless you're working on larger PBX systems. In a PBX .
. .

<stuff snipped>

I tried searching Google for GS and came up with nada.  Thanks for that
information.  Where did you learn all this stuff, Bruce?

>  More than you care to know is here:
>  http://telecom.tbi.net/groundst.htm
>
> Bottom line: you'll never need a GS button for residential work.

That would seem to be the case.  I wonder if that's the reason they got
remaindered?  I assume the cord was cut for the same reason they used to
notch LP records that were promos, etc. - to make them unsalable as normal
retail.

I did order two, BTW, because there's a neighbor's kid who's help me run
cable.  Probably couldn't find a better gift for $20.  Thanks again!

--
Bobby G.