Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

"bruceR" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Yeah, I remember the old tunes and jingles a bit TOO well too.

I remember the tunes for a lot of them, but the words have flown along with
that sweet bird of youth.

> If I were going to buy a new butt set right now for occassional use, I'd
> snap this one up off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TENMA-HANDS-FREE-TEST-SET-BUTT-TELEPHONE-72-6770_W0Q
QitemZ180002097009QQihZ008QQcategoryZ97138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemI have several
butt sets already.

That's a nice set, but it's beyond my price range for a just a nice-to-have
item.

>The oldest is a BECO solid rubber set witha small dial with raised
> pins instead of finger holes. Still works but is inmy old phone
> "Museum" now.

I have one of those, too but it's not in my museum yet!  The rubber looks a
little cheesy now but I would bet that it could and did survive more than
one drop from a telephone pole.  Little metal belt loop, cloth covered
leads, and a monitor switch that allowed you to listen in without making any
clicks on the line.  The dialer is a sheet of metal stamped with the edges
turned upwards to make a fairly sharp little dialing detents.  It's still in
my phone tool box although I now use a cheap, one piece touch-tone phone to
do most of my testing.  Most times, I just "selfdial" to see if I hear a
busy tone to make sure I am working on the line that I think I am working
on.

> I also have an old NT rotary dial buttset, aHarris touch-tone one,
> a Fremch made speakerphone model and an el cheapotouch tone
> one that I keep with the kit. If you want to go that route, whichis
> fine for most of what you'll need to do, you can pick one up for
> $20from: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/TBS-
> 5/search/TELEPHONE_BUTT_SET,_AS-IS_.htmlThe cord has
> been cut off but you can easily replace it with a new cordthat's
> readily available on ebay for about $10."Robert Green"

I buy a lot from Allelectronics but lately I've become wary.  Same with
Ebay.  I've gotten a number of items from them that were beyond junk and
worse, still, were available for up to half price elsewhere.  Yes, they'll
take almost anything back but it's like Ebay.  Factor in the hassle and
sometimes it's not worth it.  Since I'm already working on a order (they've
got coax for Dave's BX-AHT and really neat neodymium magnets that have a
million uses) I'll take a look.  I can live with $20 for a butt set.  FWIW,
a reviewer says:

Reviewer: A viewer   from GREENVILLE, NC US
Works great. Their are 17 keys on the keypad. Only 16 of those work. GS key
has no switch behind it.

What's a GS Key?

Still, at $20 it looks like a very useful tool and soldering new leads on
something is at least within my limited soldering skill set.

As for Ebay:  The last two items I bought from Ebay were allegedly mint (and
bid accordingly) but both came with serious damage that should have been
obvious to the seller since I had asked them to check that specific
area/function and they reported back no problems.

So now MIB means only a couple of serious flaws and "as-is" is seeming to
become more a code word for "doesn't work at all."  Sermon over.  I'm
steamed because the latest purchase has a battery door whose contacts are
completed corroded and were dripping in wet, (actually slimy) battery juice.

Thanks for the pointers, Bruce  I'll look around Ebay some to see if I can
snag one that's within my price and quality range.

"Johnny Yuma was a Rebel
He roamed through the west"

(Those are the only *words* I remember but I know there were more! - Ever
wonder how we know we've forgotten something?  Shouldn't we just have just
forgotten it entirely?   Wait, wait, there's more!  Those neurons aren't
really dead yet! )

"Johnny Yuma, the Rebel
He wandered alone.
He crossed this land,
this (restless, tested, reckless, feckless, Western???) land
With a hmmm and a hmmmm and hhhmmm and ding and dong and warf and a whoop
and a la la la.
The Rebel, The Rebel
away goes the Rebel"

(-:

--
Bobby G.

<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
messagenews:nv2dnb5ztfG8cj3ZnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx> Bruce R wrote:>>>
This kit is an excellent value that will give you everything you need to>>
install and maintain cables and jacks at your home. For $80, the price of>
a>> punchdown tool alone, you canNOT beat this kit.>>
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15043+TL>> That *IS* an awful
lot of useful stuff in one place.  The only thing I'dadd> is a handset for
phone work.  Know where to get a good yet relatively> inexpensive one of
those?  My tracer's got a phone jack and a speaker with> an "on hook"
control, but that's not enough for phone work - can't dialany> numbers.  It
would be nice to have a second, "ready to go" bag, though,for> various
off-site visits.>> As a complete unrelated aside, I found myself humming the
tune of longdead> TV show called "Hawaiian Eye" today - part of a group of
formulaic TVshows> I grew up with about geographical diverse detectives.
You're probably old> enough to remember them.  IIRC, they were "Hawaiian
Eye, Bourbon Street> Beat, SurfSide Six and 77 Sunset Strip <snap, snap!>
and maybe even a few> more that have escaped me.  I think part of the reason
I like home> automation is that there's a lot of detective work to do.  Just
today I> finally tracked down the source of a nagging noise problem and it
really> took some investigation because it was an intermittent sort of
issue.>> I've been humming a lot of old songs lately.  I think as the neural
netsare> just about to lose their info, the memories get jostled.  Ah, old
age.  It> just keeps NOT getting better!>> --> Bobby G.>>>>