Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

Bruce R wrote:

> This kit is an excellent value that will give you everything you need to
> install and maintain cables and jacks at your home. For $80, the price of
> punchdown tool alone, you canNOT beat this kit.
>  http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15043+TL

That *IS* an awful lot of useful stuff in one place.  The only thing I'd add
is a handset for phone work.  Know where to get a good yet relatively
inexpensive one of those?  My tracer's got a phone jack and a speaker with
an "on hook" control, but that's not enough for phone work - can't dial any
numbers.  It would be nice to have a second, "ready to go" bag, though, for
various off-site visits.

As a complete unrelated aside, I found myself humming the tune of long dead
TV show called "Hawaiian Eye" today - part of a group of formulaic TV shows
I grew up with about geographical diverse detectives.  You're probably old
enough to remember them.  IIRC, they were "Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street
Beat, SurfSide Six and 77 Sunset Strip <snap, snap!> and maybe even a few
more that have escaped me.  I think part of the reason I like home
automation is that there's a lot of detective work to do.  Just today I
finally tracked down the source of a nagging noise problem and it really
took some investigation because it was an intermittent sort of issue.

I've been humming a lot of old songs lately.  I think as the neural nets are
just about to lose their info, the memories get jostled.  Ah, old age.  It
just keeps NOT getting better!

--
Bobby G.