Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

I bought one of those $20 butt sets and I think you'll be more than pleased
with the value. It's perfect for occasional use and not a piece of junk by
any means. There are terminals inside for attaching a new cord set - no
soldering required.  I reused the grommet and bought a pair of test leads
with angled tips for a 66 block and a bed of nails.  'All' seems to be out
of the cordsets right now but they're on ebay pretty cheap - or you can just
use a piece of speaker/lamp cord with alligator clips.

 The 'GS' button is for use with Ground Start trunks - something you needn't
be concerned with unless you're working on larger PBX systems. In a PBX,
trunks (lines) can be used for both inbound and outbound calls. To make an
outbound call you would typically dial 9 for dial tone and then place the
call. The problem is that an incoming call may be coming in on that trunk at
the same time you dialed 9 (glare).  It used to be that there could be up to
a 4 second delay between the connection and the start of the first ring so
glare could occur during that 4 second window since the PBX wouldn't
recognize the incoming call until the ringing started (aka loop start).
You've probably experienced this yourself some years ago where you've picked
up the phone to make a call and someone is already there but the ringing
hadn't started yet (modern CO equipment applies the active ring cycle on
connection). To solve the problem the telco offers Ground Start trunks which
provide a momentary 'flash' or 'wink' of ground to one side of the line. As
soon as the incoming connection is made the ground is momentarily applied
and the PBX seizes the line as an incoming call. An outbound call is started
by applying a momentary ground to draw dial tone.

 On the butt set, one side of the GS button is connected to one of the line
terminals and the other side to a third (green) wire in the cordset that is
clipped to an earth ground.  To test the trunk, clip tip & ring accordingly
and momentarily press the GS button to draw dial tone.  Most butt sets don't
have that feature so you'll see the tech use a piece of jumper wire attached
to ground with the other end used to briefly touch one of the line clips.

 More than you care to know is here:
 http://telecom.tbi.net/groundst.htm

Bottom line: you'll never need a GS button for residential work.