installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

Hi, I am trying to install two RJ45 IDC receptacles from Belkin.

Product number is R6D022-AB5
http://www.provantage.com/belkin-r6d022-ab5-blu~7BELN09C.htm

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I think maybe I wired it
incorrectly.

Here's what I need to do:

I am installing a faceplate next to my cable router and switch and
another one upstairs. I ran a cat5 cable from the second faceplate down
to the first faceplate. So, now I have two faceplates connected to each
other. Basically this is just an ethernet extension.

I want to connect the first faceplate to my switch.

Then upstairs, I want to plug in a wireless access point into the
second faceplate.

But when I turn everything on, I get no connection between my wireless
access point and the switch.

Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that will show me the proper
wiring? I followed the color coding on the RJ45 itself but that didn't
seem to work.
All I can find are instructions for making etehrnet cables
(http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm) but they
don't describe how to build an ethernet extension cable.

During my searches I came across references to a "pushdown" tool. When
I searched for one, the pictures were not very clear so I'm not sure
what one looks like.

I used a screw-driver bit shaped like a "U" out of this 32 piece set:
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=22-1875&banner=22-1875
and it seemed to work well enough.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!