Re: installing ethernet RJ45 and faceplate

Yeah, I remember the old tunes and jingles a bit TOO well too.
If I were going to buy a new butt set right now for occassional use, I'd
snap this one up off ebay:

 http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TENMA-HANDS-FREE-TEST-SET-BUTT-TELEPHONE-72-6770_W0QQitemZ180002097009QQihZ008QQcategoryZ97138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemI have several butt sets already. The oldest is a BECO solid rubber set witha small dial with raised pins instead of finger holes. Still works but is inmy old phone "Museum" now. I also have an old NT rotary dial buttset, aHarris touch-tone one, a Fremch made speakerphone model and an el cheapotouch tone one that I keep with the kit. If you want to go that route, whichis fine for most of what you'll need to do, you can pick one up for $20from: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/TBS-5/search/TELEPHONE_BUTT_SET,_AS-IS_.htmlThe cord has been cut off but you can easily replace it with a new cordthat's readily available on ebay for about $10."Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in messagenews:nv2dnb5ztfG8cj3ZnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx> Bruce R wrote:>>> This kit is an excellent value that will give you everything you need to>> install and maintain cables
and jacks at your home. For $80, the price of> a>> punchdown tool alone, you canNOT beat this kit.>>  http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15043+TL>> That *IS* an awful lot of useful stuff in one place.  The only thing I'dadd> is a handset for phone work.  Know where to get a good yet relatively> inexpensive one of those?  My tracer's got a phone jack and a speaker with> an "on hook" control, but that's not enough for phone work - can't dialany> numbers.  It would be nice to have a second, "ready to go" bag, though,for> various off-site visits.>> As a complete unrelated aside, I found myself humming the tune of longdead> TV show called "Hawaiian Eye" today - part of a group of formulaic TVshows> I grew up with about geographical diverse detectives.  You're probably old> enough to remember them.  IIRC, they were "Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street> Beat, SurfSide Six and 77 Sunset Strip <snap, snap!> and maybe even a few> more that have escaped me.  I think part of the reason I like home> automation is that
there's a lot of detective work to do.  Just today I> finally tracked down the source of a nagging noise problem and it really> took some investigation because it was an intermittent sort of issue.>> I've been humming a lot of old songs lately.  I think as the neural netsare> just about to lose their info, the memories get jostled.  Ah, old age.  It> just keeps NOT getting better!>> --> Bobby G.>>>>