Re: X10 -> UPB?

"Brett Griffin" <bret.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:n8adnbOgUKINI0vfRVn-hQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I think there is one important point. X-10 lamp & appliance modules are
> > dirt
> > cheap. A lot of people would like to be able to continue using them
while
> > slowly phasing in a more robust system. UPB doesn't allow that so its
"all
> > or nothing" unless you want two different control systems.
>
> I agree, why throw out something that works, I think many homeowner are
> shifting to a controller in their home.  Weather it be HAI, HomeSeer,
> HAL2000, Elk, JDS Stargate.  All manufacturers are supporting UPB and
X-10.
> With an HAI omni Pro II or the Omni II, your house can have both X-10 and
> UPB and as the homeowner you would not know which is which, and they will
> all work.  That is a great thing about these home controllers, you don't
> have to get rid of everything you have, you can just start migrating to
> newer technologies.

That is the situation I am in.  I am currently installing an OmniProII.
This will allow me to still use the X10 appliance/lamp modules for things
like Christmas lighting control, and other misc. applications where the
features and reliability of UPB are not needed.  My only issue is with noise
/ interference.  From what I have heard, it is not an issue for UPB devices.
However, if I am to use some mix of X10, I will have to "noise-proof" the
house.  That was the biggest pain in the previous house and I really don't
want to go through that again.  That will play into the decision whether or
not I use a mix of X10 and UPB, or just bite the bullet and go straight UPB.
For me personally, the lack of wireless control is not a big issue, however
if it were, integrating a wireless solution into the OmniProII would not be
that big of a deal.

Kurt